Chapter 6

I got up from the bed, faster than I should and felt my head spinning around. I realized that I was laying on my bed, back in my bedroom. I was at my house.

I was safe.

I started thinking of all the ways I could have come back home, but my head started hurting again so I stopped immediately. I walked to my personal bathroom and threw cold water on my face. Small drops were drawing paths down my cheeks. And then I saw it. I brought my fingers closer to the side of my neck where there was a mark reminiscent of bruises. But it wasn't there because someone had hit me. I was sure of that. I would have felt that.

I went downstairs and I found my mum sitting on the couch, watching television. I asked her where my uncle had gone and she said he was at the town to buy a few things for himself. I felt relieved that I wouldn't have to see him for the next hours. I wasn't exactly in the mood for talking.

"Mum, do you have any idea how I got here?" I finally found the courage to ask.

The color drained out of her face. "Of course, sweetie. You came back from school and went to your room to lay down, because you said you were feeling tired!" She said everything so fast, that I actually thought she had thought about what she was going to say to me. But, she didn't have a reason to lie to me.

"Also, Quinn came and said that she will be waiting for you at her house." She added.

I had totally forgotten that she had asked me to meet her at her house after school.

I wanted to ask my mum if Chase said anything to her, but she had just told me that I came home alone. I promised myself that I would worry about this when I would return from Quinn's house. I took my bag from my room and walked out of the house.

Quinn was the one who opened the door to me. I had to see her parents for years and I was scared to ask her where they were. Something had might happened while I was gone and I didn't want to seem rude. Besides, she was never mentioning her parents when we were together.

She was dressed in a pink short dress and a small, red bag was hanging over her shoulder. She looked overdressed.

"Seriously, you decided to put on jeans?" She pointed my blue jeans with her index finger and the sides of her pink lips pulled down. But, before I had any chance to find an excuse, she spoke up first. "Fine. It's not a big deal, anyway."

The door closed behind her as she grabbed my arm and leaded me towards the bus station across our houses. I had no idea what she had in mind, but I had to admit that the mystery was kind of fascinating me. I still didn't know what she wanted to talk to me about, but I supposed I was going to find out soon.

Panic curled its way through my stomach when the bus arrived and Quinn wrapped her hand around me, taking me inside with her. The glass doors closed and I glanced around. There were a few people who had taken their seats in the bus. Some of them turned her heads to look at us, but others stayed focused on their phone screens.

"Quinn," I whispered in her ear. "What are we doing in the bus?"

She made a dramatic eye roll that only made me fear the situation even more. "I figured that it would be a good idea to take you out for once. You'll see!" She smacked me on the arm. "I promise you'll have fun!"

It seemed that we were heading to the city where all the well-known shops and cafes were located. I hadn't told my mom we would go that much away. At the moment, she had in mind that I was enjoying myself in Quinn's house. I was with Quinn, yes. That was correct. But the rest of the story was false.

I couldn't remember the last time I had gone somewhere alone. In the city, to buy clothes, grab some coffee... I couldn't wait to arrive to our destination.