Chapter 28

I tightened my jacket around my shoulders and started regretting my decision to wear a t-shirt while the weather had made it obvious that it was going to start raining in any second. I watched as waves of air moved the leafs of the trees and how everyone didn't get bothered by the cold. I wished I had that advantage of being a werewolf. I would be able to wear t-shirts for the rest of my life.

"I thought you liked autumn and winter." Chase teased, as he came and stood by my side. His eyes were studying the way I looked to feel safe in my warm jacket. His hands took it off me and I gasped when the hair on my arms bristled.

"What are you doing?"

"You are not going to need this." He said with a playful grin formed on his face. "I thought I told you to wear leggings and a T-shirt." He stated. "The jacket will get destroyed if you wear it during practice."

He was right. But he, obviously, had forgotten that except from being a Banshee, I was, also, a human. I was already freezing!

"And don't worry, you are going to be fine." He told me, as if he had read my thoughts. "But, if you get very, very cold, I can give you one of my jackets that... Well, let's say that Dante didn't really like it. It's still on my car."

I grinned at him. "I think I'm going to be okay. But thanks." He nodded and turned his attention back to the guys.

It was my first day as a part of their crew and I would be practicing along with them. I wasn't nervous. I was just worried they would put too much effort on me.

Earlier that day, I had went back to school. My mum justified to the principal that I was ill all these days and that went well. I couldn't say I had missed school, but I needed a break from searching my best friend and eventually finding her dead. Now it hit different. She wasn't there to gossip with me and act like Jayden was just an old crush to her. They were all working together, Riley had told me. Just that she only cared about my safety and she wanted to act alone. Without the rest of them to be aware of her moves. But, most of the times she was attempting that, someone was finding out before she even had the chance.

I wasn't sure if what happened with Devon could count as an example.

Chase, Dove and Riley were by my side the entire time. Dove's parents put their daughter into my classroom so we could be together at all classes and be "safe", as they said.

Chase was... careful, since I came back from the twin's house. He was sweet, as always. He was the one who took me home after school and then, he didn't leave. He stayed with me to help me study. I had skipped a few classes, so his presence helped me a lot.

Jayden, on the other hand, was... Jayden. He hadn't talked to me since he found me in the woods that day. I'm sure he was talking to Dante and Riley about me. He was tensed whenever he was around me and his muscles couldn't relax. Not even for a second. I was the one who was supposed to be mad at him. He killed my best friend and he was acting like i had hurt someone he was close with.

"He had to do it. You cannot be angry with him because he chose to do the right thing, what everyone would have done." Chase had told me when I decided to share my thoughts with him.

I had to admit that a part of me was grateful he used that piece of wood to stop her. That person with the bloody eyes and the fangs that threatened me to get closer, wasn't the one I used to play dolls with. The one I used to share my cupcakes with. And I wouldn't be able to live with the thought that a person, so dangerous, was walking free around our neighborhood.

I just couldn't say that out loud.

Now we were all outside Max's house, where they usually practiced. It wasn't far away from our houses, but still, Chace agreed to drive me there every time we had training.