Chapter 23

I peered my head over and spotted Jayden's car on the side of the street. I saw his hands resting on the wheel through the windows, but I couldn't see his face. He and Chase had probably not noticed that there was no one in the second floor. Without hesitation, I started running. I didn't stop to look behind me, to check if someone was following me, afraid of really seeing someone behind me. That would mean I had gotten caught.

I didn't know where exactly I was going. The forest wasn't ending. There were thousands of trees on my way.

I wondered what it would be like to be a werewolf. They were fast and strong and many other things I was not. Jayden told me that I was born with a purpose. But I was only seventeen and suddenly, I had to save the world. I wasn't exactly human. A part of me was something else, something supernatural.

My heart was racing and my legs started getting weaker. I realized that I needed the training they were offering me. I rested my hand on the trunk of a tree and looked around me. I had no idea where I was, but that wasn't the point. Or maybe it was.

I plunged my hand in one pocket and appeared a white paper. I took a few deep breaths to calm my heartbeat and then I read it for once again that day. I felt grateful no one had seen me when I took it from the table. Still, the message wasn't telling me anything helpful.

You have to meet me if you want your blond friend back. Alone. But no rush, I'm sure Quinn is having a lovely time with my sister. She can't wait to meet you, dear. Careful, we aren't always patient. ~Your friend, Devon.

My phone started ringing all of sudden, making me jump in my place. I had totally forgotten that I had it with me and fear took over my entire body. I wouldn't get excited if it was Jayden or Chase the one calling me. But, expect from the rest of the crew, no one else had my number. Trae and mum wouldn't be calling me. So...

I took the phone out of my jacket's pocket and glanced at the screen. The mobile phone machine was vibrating in my hands, making my hand that was holding it shake harder. There was no number, no name on the screen. Nothing that was revealing who was calling me.

I pressed the answer bottom and brought it to my ear.

I didn't spoke. No one spoke. Someone's hard breathing was hitting the phone. A few seconds passed, till a male voice made me froze. My phone nearly slipped off my hands.

"Hello, sweetheart. What's the weather look like?" His voice was playful. I couldn't stand the thought of Quinn spending time with him.

"Devon." I whispered.

"It's nice to hear your voice again. I know it has only been a few hours since we last saw each other. But I missed you." I could sense his smirk through the phone. "Haven't you? I'm sure you have."

"Would you get surprised if I told you I haven't?" I challenged him.

He snorted. "You are very naughty, sweetheart!" His voice suddenly became a low whisper. "Hiding from your friends was very badass and very bad from such a good girl like you. But, I have to admit... I'm very stunned you did that just because of me!"

My head changed lots of directions as I spinned around, waiting to see Devon standing a few inches away from me. But he wasn't anywhere close to me. I couldn't spot him in the forest.

"I bet you are looking for me. But, guess what! No one ever finds me! Except if I want them to find me!"

"Do you want me to find you?"

He took his time to answer. But what he told me, wasn't smart or playful as I was expecting it to be. It was what I was waiting for.

"Walk till you find a tree with purple flowers and then stop."

He didn't say anything else and as the moments were passing, I figured he was guiding me to where he wanted to meet. I made my way forward and my eyes were wide open, searching for purple flowers. It wouldn't be that much hard, since the only colors that existed in the forest were green, brown and black.

I felt silly for playing his sick games, but I had no other choice.

Did I want someone to be following me? Yes. Did I want someone to find me? Hell no. I could picture Jayden's face in my mind when he would find out that I was missing. He had promised me that he would never lay a hand on me, but now, he might wanted to consider that thought again and change his mind.

He was, totally, going to change his mind.

I stood still when I spotted the tree Devon was talking about. I couldn't open my mouth and tell him I was there. You are doing this for Quinn.

"Go to your left and keep walking till you feel something." He told me. I wanted to ask him what that meant, but my throat was dry and no words came out.

I did as he said and eventually, I felt something. Something like a cold wave passing through me, stealing my oxygen and giving me something stronger to breath. My breathing got shallower the moment I tipped my eyes up.

"Bingo!"