Chapter 19

I was racing off the stairs when loud voices came to my ears from the living room. I stopped, hoping that I could hear their conversation without to be noticed. I recognized a husky voice mentioning my name.

"She will be alright, eventually. She just needs time."

Jayden.

"Why don't we give her to him?" Someone prompted.

Dante.

"I thought you liked her." Dove said. I thought he liked me too. But, now, he wanted me gone.

"I..." He struggled finding the right words. "Well, that was the plan, wasn't it?" What? "We wanted to get her to trust us, so we could keep her safe."

"Exactly. So, why do you want the twins to have her?" I hadn't hear Chase and Riley taking part to the conversation, but I could feel their presence somewhere in the room.

"Jayden, don't you see it?" He yelled and I jumped in my place. "Your family might get killed because of her. My boyfriend might get killed because of her. We might get killed because of her! Do you really want that?"

There was a long pause. Maybe that was the moment when I should walk in. But, I didn't have much time to consider it.

"Everyone is dead because of her." Jayden said in a low voice. "But we promised to help her and not let anyone hurt her, or kill her. And we all agreed to this because we need her. We need her to stay alive. And that's exactly what we are going to do!"

"You are the one who made a promise! To her mother!"

"Both of you, shut up!" Riley shouted.

Silence poured into the room. They were all breathing hard and fast. I rubbed the exhaustion from my eyes and made a step down, careful not to make a sound.

"It's our fault." I froze. What are they talking about? I stretched out my neck so I could hear them clearly. They were whispering now.

"What are you talking about?" Confusion was dancing on Dove's voice.

"It's our fault!" Chase repeated. "She said it herself. We handled it the wrong way. Things would be different if she trusted enough to talk to us about her nightmares and the spirits she sees. We would know that it had started." I waited for Jayden to tell everyone that I had told him about these things, but he never did. "Riley and Jayden told us about the dead vampire in the woods. But, all we did was wondering if there were more of them wandering around. We didn't even care to think about her powers that were developing all this time!"

"Dove tried to have an eye on her." Jayden argued.

"Don't even let me start with this." Dante murmured.

"Tried. But, she was always worried and scared when she was around her. She didn't try to be her friend!"

"I did her makeup! And chose her dress!" Feet hitting the floor made me realize that most of them were sitting. Had my mum and uncle come home? Probably not. "I never had real friends, so how was I supposed to know what I was supposed to do?"

"Hey, what are we doing here?" Dante sounded offended.

"Don't let me start with this!"

Another pause. So, the whole point of their conversation was that none of them were trying to be my friends? Were they pretending since the day I met them? I was dumb to think there were actual people who liked me. Why would they, anyway.

"Why don't you join us here instead of spying on us?"

It took me a few seconds before I finally realized that Jayden was talking to me. I didn't know if I should go and be alone with them. Jayden had told me that he and his friends would never hurt me. After everything that had happened in the schoolyard the night before, I still believed that. But, I wasn't a fool.