Chapter 30

Around eight o'clock, we were ready to go. Dove and I sat in the back seats because Evie had already taken her place in the passenger seat. As she was moving in her seat to make herself comfortable, the short, red dress was pulling up, higher, revealing her smooth legs. But, Jayden hadn't spared a look at her since the moment we got in the car. He seemed tensed and Evie was... Well, she seemed out of the ordinary.

"Sofia," Evie turned her head to me. "I am, politely, asking you not to get close to the other members of the pack."

My eyebrows flied up to my forehead. "Every member of the pack is going to be there?"

I heard Jayden sighing. I felt the car moving faster than before. "I already had that conversation with her, Evie. Thank you." He explained quickly. Evie stared at him, waiting for him to apologize to her. But his whole attention was at the road again.

Dove held my hand and I offered her a weak smile.

I was aware of the fact that they didn't like me. Dante and Evie were avoiding me ever since I found out about them being supernatural creatures. Dove and Riley had secretly told me that a few people from the pack weren't going to be very friendly to me, for the simple reason that they believed I was a threat to them. They believed I was stronger and more powerful than them. It was true that I had power. But I had no idea how to use it. Yet. I was going to learn, like Chase had promised. And, actually, I was getting better at it. I had already taken down Dante and Evie. But maybe that was because they were putting too much effort on me. But I knew I was worth of something.

Every other time I had gone to Chase's house, I used to stare at it and wondering when was it built. It was reminding me of these Victorian's style houses. It was just beautiful. But, now, it looked like an ordinary house. Like a teenager's house who was hosting a party. Loud, pop music coming from the inside of the house, colorful lights painting the windows and lots of guys and girls dancing in the backyard.

We walked towards the house and got in. I couldn't see much because the lights were off and only a few were helping us not to bump into each other or to some strangers. I liked the atmosphere in there. Dove said she would go and find Riley and Dante. Jayden left too because he said he had to find a girl from the pack. To my surprise, Evie stayed silent. I expected her to look bothered by that. But her eyes were fixed on the table with the drinks. She was looking at the bottles with the alcohol like they were about to talk to her.

When Jayden left us alone, I was feeling kind of relieved. I didn't like Evie, because she didn't like me either. But, she wasn't looking very good.

"Hey, Evie?" Her eyes flashed at my direction. For the first time, since I had met her, there was nothing in her eyes. No sign of annoyance, anger, disgust... That wasn't good.

"Everything okay between you and Jayden?"

Without saying a single word to me, she grabbed a green bottle and took a few, quick sips. I thought it would make her feel better if she had some company in the getting-drunk project. I couldn't resist in the temptation. I grabbed an empty cup and filled it with alcohol. I didn't know what it was, exactly. And the only person around me who would know, was trying to kill her mind. And feelings. So, I just jumped on the chance. I felt the warm liquid burning my skin as it made its way down my throat. I shut my eyes, enjoying the feeling and letting the burn turn into pleasure.

When I opened my eyes and the cup was on the surface of the table in front of us, Evie was done with getting herself drunk. At least, for a few seconds. She was watching me. Her eyes were travelling from my face to the empty cup. She made no questions.

Her eyes watered. "Jayden broke up with me."

My jaw dropped and my mouth fell open. Like, literally, fell open. "I thought you weren't dating..." I trailed off.

She took a sip from her bottle, ignoring me. When the words came out of her mouth, the smell of Beer flooded in the air, but I wasn't sure if it came from her.

"He said he needed to focus on the pack, because now we have you and the vampires are looking for you. So, since I always ask for attention, he can't keep seeing me anymore." She bit her bottom lip. "But, it's okay. It's only a matter of time before he feels the need to see me again. And you know what I am going to say to him?" She didn't look at me, but she was waiting an answer from me.

"Um..." I looked around me, deep hoping we could end that conversation at that exact moment. "No, thank you?"

"No. I will totally give him what he will ask for. Just like i always do." A few tears fell down her pink cheeks, but she hurried to wipe them away. "But, until then, I will move on." I shook my head and she walked past me. But then, she stopped. She slowly turned her head to me and looked at me from the corners of her eyes. "If you ever fall for that guy, princess, kill yourself before he puts you in that position himself."

And then, she was already walking up the stairs.

I wasn't feeling sorry for her, but I didn't think she was pathetic either. She was just feeling broken. But she would be okay the next day. And Jayden was the only one who didn't seem to had gotten affected from their "break up".

It. Wasn't. A. Breakup. Everyone from the group had told me that their relationship was only about making each other feel good in bed. Just. That. Jayden had told me himself he didn't do girlfriends. I didn't blame him. He ended things between him and Evie because he wouldn't have any time for it. But I had to reward him for preventing Evie from getting hurt.

"Woah. That was... an intense speech. Definitely."

A voice spoke from behind me and I turned around, facing a tall man with wavy brown hair that were pulled back and big, hazel eyes. The dark skin of his face was clear and smooth

"Hello, angel. You must be Sofia Kane." He waved a hand at my direction.

"That's me." I narrowed my eyes at him. "And who are you?"

"God! I was really hoping you were going to say "no, i'm not her. Sorry." I mean... Don't get me wrong but I was expecting you to be..." His eyes travelled up and down my body. "... Muscled, tall... But, I guess you will work just find to us that way."

My hands bailed into fists in my sides and I bit the inside of my cheeks to prevent myself from saying something i would regret. This guy didn't even know me and he came to me and offended me, just right into my face. He was just... Oh, wait-

"Are you a member from the..." I trailed off, not wanting to get heard from anyone around.

"Yes." He looked around him, still smirking like he was holding a secret in his next words. "And you are the daughter of the moon. So, I think we already know each other." I frowned.

"Hey! Sofia-" I felt a hand resting on my shoulder, but the next moment, his breath was caught in the air and his hand fell. "Blake. What are you doing here?"

He chuckled loudly. "I thought you were all informed from your teenage friend." His face changed into something like disgust. Annoyance, even. "I still can't believe our families allow this seventeen-year-old guy to be in charge of our..." He suspiciously glared around again. "Our team, anyway."

"So, how old are you?" I crossed my arms under my chest and I instantly regretted it. The dress I was wearing was open only in the area of my chest and the straight line over it, became longer. Letting that guy and Chase, who were close enough to notice, see a bit of my white bra.

"Nineteen, unlike you. Gosh. You are seventeen for god's sake! How are you going to help our pa- Team! I meant team!" He whispered-yelled at himself, not sparing me a look.

He was unbelievable! He was talking about me like I wasn't even standing right there.

I remembered the conversation we all had a few days ago, in the school yard. If that was the guy Riley was warning her about, then I was agreeing with him. I wasn't going to let Dove fall for him. He was close to Jayden's behavior. Only that he was worse.

"Chase, can I talk to you for a second?"

"Sure."