Chapter 27

Quinn had explained to me that I couldn't use my powers to tear the wall apart, because, just like hers, they had gotten absorbed. I guessed it was a good thing I didn't know how to use them, anyway. We made sure someone had already come to check on us. Ember was the last person we saw before the break out.

I had started to get nervous. I wasn't sure I could destroy the wall. It was impossible. But Quinn assured me that it was going to work.

"If I can't use my powers, then what am I supposed to do?" I asked.

That day, Quinn seemed worse than the other times. Ember had taken her out of the room and returned about twenty minutes later. I didn't have a watch on me or my phone. I used to count the seconds while we were staying there. I was distracting myself by doing that.

She was much paler than the last time. She was sweating for no reason and when I sat next to her and held her hand, she was shaking. She was freezing. I didn't know what was wrong with her and when I asked her, she pretended she hadn't heard me.

I stood up, facing the walls that were about to fall.

"You need to use your voice." She said in a low voice. "It's the only way."

I didn't miss the way she hugged her waist with both hands. The inside of me was freaking out because I knew something was happening to her and I couldn't help her.

Maybe I should had said Jayden, or someone else. They could had given me an advice and tell me what I was supposed to do if she was hurt or injured. Now it's already done, I told myself. We didn't have much time. So, I opened my mouth and did the only thing that could make me feel better. I let all my emotions escape.

When I opened my eyes again, I put my palm in front of my face. The light that was hitting my eyes was too much. The wall that was made to keep us inside and guard us, was now gone. The forest was only a few miles ahead of us. I wondered if from that tall tree that was watching us from far away, could actually see us.

Quinn wrapped her left hand around my shoulders and stood still with my help. She was weak and could barely stand to her feet. We needed to hurry. Whoever was in the house had heard the big damage. We had our chance and we were going to take it.

Even though she couldn't walk fast, I forced her to keep up with my own walking. I looked at the Devil's house over my shoulder. I couldn't believe there were actual people living there and that it belonged to them for thousands of decades. It looked abandoned and creepy and melancholic.

Then I felt it. The shock of that weird feeling attacking to my lugs for once again, made me gasp and Quinn nearly fell off my shoulders.

"I got you!" I tighten my grip in her waist and my walking got faster. A little breeze tickled my face and I felt my friend's shiver.

"You were right. I felt it too." Her voice cracked. I wished I had my phone so I could call someone to come and get us.

I realized that having my phone meant that they had the phone numbers of Jayden, Riley and the rest of the others all for themselves. And that was bad. I had put a password in case something similar to that was ever about to happen, but since they can do many weird and unusual things, they could totally find a way through that.

Suddenly, Quinn let go of me. Her knees knocked together and she fell on the ground. I made an effort to carry her body again, but she pushed me away from her. She placed her hands on the top of her head and started pulling her hair back. I wanted to touch her, but that would make things even worse.

"You must go," She said. ", without me."

"No!" I quickly answered. "No, I'm not leaving without you!"