Chapter 17

I admired my night-out, fancy outfit which was a dark blue dress with long sleeves and black, boots whose tops were ending in my knees. I couldn't tell if it was too much or not. If Dove was there with me, she would say that I looked gorgeous. She had asked me to let her make my hair and do my make-up the night of the dance. But, I said that I could do it on my own, even though I would appreciate her company. But, I didn't want to be in the same car with her brother again. I would get nervous again and I didn't want to.

I grabbed my bag and my phone when a message from Chase appeared on the screen.

Chase: I am waiting outside.

I walked down the stairs, only to find the two adults who lived in the house waiting for me in the edge of the stairs. I wondered how much time uncle Trae needed to spend with us. I didn't really mind him walking around the house. Because he was spending most of his time in the town doing things I was not allowed to know about, as my mum had told me once I found the courage to ask her.

Mum looked... Well, not happy. But, not sad either. This woman had a face that could not be read by anyone. Even by the smartest person.

"You look very pretty, sweetie!" My uncle snapped. He opened his arms to hug me, but then he saw the frustration on my face and let his arms fall. I was still trying to forgive me. I knew that I was acting selfish and foolish and my attitude wasn't fair to him, because he had nothing to do with my father's death. I would get used to him being around me eventually. The time when I would, accidentally, grin at his direction would come and things would be fine. Because we were a family and that was above all.

I wasn't aware of having any other relatives other that these two. My grandparents had passed away a few years before my mum to get married and I felt pity for her when she told me that. It must had been awful for her... She didn't have siblings so I had only my uncle from my father's side. Their parents had to be dead too, because neither my mom nor my dad had ever mentioned them.

My family had definitely a problem with staying alive.

My mum heaved a sigh. "Your uncle is right," She took hold of both of my hands. "You look amazing honey! Happy birthday!"

I couldn't fight a smile. "Thank you, mum!" I squeezed her hands.

A corn sounded from outside the house and their attention turned to the front door. I approached the window, seeing Chase leaning in a red car's door. I assumed it belonged to him, even though it was the first time I was seeing it. It seemed expensive. Really, really expensive. Under the moonlight, it looked glossy and glorious. I couldn't wait to seat inside that car.

"You got a date with this pretty guy over there or should I go and kick his ass?"

"No, it's okay." I assured him. Bringing the picture of his bleeding face because of Chase's punch, made me giggle. "He is my date for tonight."

I couldn't believe that these words were coming out my mouth. It was almost impossible to believe it. In my old school, in Brooklyn, the guys weren't approaching me. I felt bad about it, but then there was a guy, one year older than me, who wanted to get to know me.

Big mistake.

I stepped out of the house, after I heard my uncle shouting to have fun at the dance. And then my mum, who decided to embarrass me in front of Chase by saying, "At least, I'm begging you to use a condom!" Not even my death glare prevented her from adding, "I'm talking to you, pretty boy!"

"Mum!" I scolded. "I'm seventeen!"

"And I'm thirty-four!"

I finally reached Chase who was greeting me with an encouraging smile. He wasted no time and pulled me close to him by the waist. "Happy birthday! Riley reminded me just this morning!" Then, his face clouded. "Shit. I didn't get you anything!"