Chapter 37

My eyes were focused on the view outside my window. It was raining again. Thousands drops were drawing paths on the glass that was preventing me from getting wet too. The blanket that was pulled up to my waist, covering half my chest, was keeping me warm while I was waiting for the tea to get ready. I could hear familiar voices from the first floor of the house. I wasn't sure if they were talking about me.

No one had really concentrated on the fact I had snuck out. When Chase and I arrived at the house, Dante, Riley, Dove and Max were already here. Chase had called them during the drive back home. They couldn't find Evie on the phone. And Jayden just hung up on them.

My hands were covered with Blake's blood and my eyes were red, making it obvious that I had been crying.

"What about the body?" Was the first thing Dante asked me.

Chase had given me the keys for his car and told me to wait for me inside the vehicle. I did as he said, not wanting to ask him what he was about to do. When he came to his car, he found me crying in the passenger seat. My eyes were between my palms. I only tipped my eyes up at him when he took my hands in his. He had red fresh blood and soil on his skin. But I didn't mind. For the first time I didn't mind having blood near me. On me. I made sure I had in mind that it was his skin on me. Not blood on my skin. I didn't stop him when he caressed my cheeks. Or when he placed a quick kiss on the tip of my nose.

"It's going to be okay." He whispered. His breath caressed my lips. I couldn't stop myself.

I lifted myself and pressed my lips against his. His breath hitched and his hands grabbed my face in a matter of seconds, like he had been waiting for centuries to kiss me. His breath slipped into my mouth, filling my lungs with warmth. But, for some reason I didn't feel anything. I felt... Nice. No butterflies. No excitement. My pulse didn't race and my heart didn't start pounding in my chest. I pulled away first. His eyes were still closed when I opened mine. But, when he opened them, I wished he hadn't. Delight danced across his face. He was looking at me with pure lust.

"You have no idea how long I have been waiting for this moment." His voice was filled with heat.

After that, he drove me back home without saying another word. I didn't dare to make a conversation about our kiss. And I was careful not to mention it in front of the others.

He explained everyone what had happened and that we didn't know who had killed Blake. They let me go to my room and get dressed in clean clothes. I took a long hot shower and I got out only when Dove knocked on the bathroom's door. She asked me if I wanted some tea to help me relax. So, now I was laying in bed, waiting for her to bring me the tea she had promised.

There was a soft knock on the door.

"Come in." I said quietly, but she managed to hear it.

She was wearing a pink hoodie and blue jeans. She looked like a beautiful girl who was living her life. Without a pack, no great losses. Just a teenage girl.

"Dove?" She placed the cup of green tea in my night stand and sat on the bed, near me. "Do you have any dreams?"

She stayed unmoved for a couple of seconds. I wondered if she had even heard me asking her a question. Her eyelashes thinned. The only proof she was still in life was the slow movements of her chest, while she was breathing heavily.

One of the corners of her lips curled upwards. "When I was younger, I wanted to be a lawyer. Many people get shocked when I tell them about it. It probably doesn't suit me, but it's never going to happen anyway."

"Why not?" I asked her, even though I already knew why.

She took a deep breath. "After I graduate, my father wants me to get married to someone from another pack so we can gain power. It happens all the time, you know. I won't have the right to study or go to college or even have a job. That will happen only if my future husband allows me to. But, usually, the people the werewolves get married to are very possessive and they don't want their women to have anything to do with the human world."