Chapter 50

It was my second day at school. Miss Grand was still my history teacher and while that should be making me feel nice (because there was a person who knew the details about my life.), it was making the classes with her seem awkward. I wasn't raising my hand because I was afraid of seeing the look she would gave me. You know, the one which was playful and meaningful at the same time.

I hated school.

I had math for second period. I wasn't expecting anyone to step in the classroom and announce that something had come up. But, that did happen.

Someone knocked on the door and the male teacher dropped his hand, saving the unfinished line of numbers on the board for later.

"Come in!" He shouted.

My eyes widened when Chase walked in the class. He was wearing his black jacket and skinny jeans. He ran a hand over his clear-shaven chin and plunged his hands in his jeans' pockets.

"Hello, Mr. Berg." He waved a hand in his direction. "I'm here to get Sofia Kane. Is she here?" But, before the math teacher had any time to answer and wave at my direction with his long fingers, Chase's gaze had already found mine in the front desk.

"Sofia, please pick up your things and get ready to leave with Mr. Trave."

In less than ten seconds, my books, my pencilcase and all of my notebooks were inside my bag. I pulled the chair back, giving myself enough access to leave my seat.

"Come here, princess." Chase gritted me with a warm smile and wrapped a hand around my waist, pulling me by his side. He turned his head to the teacher who seemed like he was fighting back a grin. "Thank you, Mr. Please continue your lesson."

But before Chase's hand had pressed the door to open, Mr. Berg held up a hand to stop us both, his face suddenly changed.

"Wait a minute, where exactly are you taking her Mr. Trave? I forgot to ask you. What's so important that she needs to live in the middle of the lesson."

My heart started racing. I glanced at Chase whose lips were parted and his jaw had dropped. He looked like he hadn't prepared an excuse...

Mr. Berg was a good person, but if Chase lied to him and he figured, my boyfriend was dead before the man had a chance to speak. Somehow, he always knew if something was wrong.

"Um... Well, we..." He glared at me. His hand tightened around my small waist. I could feel his finger tips pressing against my covered skin.

Something changed in him and he quickly grabbed my hand. He lowered his head and placed a soft kiss on the outside of my palm. What was he doing?

"You see, Mr. Berg... I didn't want Sofia to find out about this that way, but..." He paused and he tightened his grip. "My cat is dead."

A loud gasp escaped from our math teacher's mouth. He placed his right hand on the center of his chest, as he couldn't believe what he was hearing.

"Poor little cat... She died this morning and..." He raked a hand through his short hair. "I'm sorry. It's just very hard for me. I still haven't stomach it."

He wrapped his arms around my shoulders and he... It sounded like he was crying, for God's sake.

"It's okay, Sofia." He started rubbing tiny circles on my back. "I know you are very sad since Mrs. Potato was your favorite. But, I want you to know that she is watching us from above the sky. She wants us to be happy."

God... Was Mr. Berg really falling for that? But then I peered over to look at him and I witnessed him crying right in front of the entire class.