Chapter 48

I followed Riley downstairs where my mom and another person was waiting for me. The other person had his back on me, but it wasn't hard for me to understand who was he. The veins in his arms, the wide back, the sandy blond hair...

A bile rose in my throat.

"Jayden! What can I do for you?" He turned his body towards me, finally facing me. But, still, he wasn't looking straight to my eyes. His gaze was up at the ceiling, like he was trying to avoid the eye contact.

"I heard from your mum that you are feeling better..." He trailed of. "I had come here today to speak for my parents."

Why was he talking like that? Like he didn't know me. Like we never knew each other.

He continued. "My parents want you back. They made a mistake, leaving you out of the pack. It wasn't very smart, if you ask me..."

"Yes, I'm asking you." I took a step closer to him. My legs stretched and I fought back a gasp. The blood in my veins had started boiling. "I'm asking you because you were the one who made the decision. Certainly not your parents!"

He rolled his brown eyes as he turned his head to one side. His tongue peered out, running over his bottom lips. He gripped it between his teeth and curved his lips teasingly.

"Don't smile at me like that!" I raised a finger. His smile fell. He surprised by grabbing my raised finger and closing his palm around it, making direct eye contact with me. His face, suddenly, too close to mine.

"I'm not taking orders from you, danger. You should know that by now. And yes, I'm the one who made the decision." His grip grew tighter, like he was holding himself back from breaking my finger. "But I remember very well that I warned you before. And you acted, of course. So don't blame me for your mistakes." He glanced at my mom over his tensed shoulder. "I gave you a promise a few months ago. You made me promise not to hurt your daughter. I kept my promise, but right now I might take it back." He looked back at me. He approached my ear and mocked in my ear, "You look sexy when you try to hide your fear."

I quickly pulled away, disgust all over my expression. A little blush heated my face and I felt stupid for blushing.

I turned my head to my mother who was sitting silently in the couch across the sofa. A frown touched my lips. That was why she liked Jayden so much? I was really trying not to start yelling at her. Riley and Chase were way better than Jayden! And yes, they were werewolves, but that didn't matter! Jayden was the Alpha of his pack, but he couldn't act like that around me. He was either take it way far away (also letting his anger issues start arguments for no reason.) or he was all flirty and everything. Again, for no reason.

He was the one behaving like a child, not me like he was saying most of the time.

Was what he just said supposed to be flirty? Because it totally sounded like it. He wasn't looking ashamed of it, though. He should. I was dating one of his best friends for god's sake!

My phone started ringing and I pulled it out of my pants' back pocket. Had I mentioned how much I missed that thing? I was feeling safe having it on me. Actually, no. That was a big lie. I wasn't feeling safe even when the whole pack was with me. I always had Alice and Devon on my mind, but I was trying really hard to make light thoughts. Her words from that night when she caught me was always there, in my nightmares.

I was having nightmares every goddamn night. It was either about Trae's death or an attack. Or... I was, also, seeing a very strange dream. But it was always the same one. No face, no reveal. It was like it was waiting for me to figure that person's identity. But I had no idea how to do that, so I was the one waiting.