Chapter 21

I finally got to understand why he had been so overprotective over me and I had to say that I didn't expect it; He wanted to keep me safe. All this time i thought that he was just feeling like he should be protecting me because i was friends with his crew. And even though i was supposed to understand everything and believe that the whole thing finally made sense to me, i was lost for once again.

It was hard for me to believe that there were vampires and werewolves. I had seen the wolves at the dance and i had noticed the way Devon was moving around them. He was trying to defend himself. He was fast and clearly smart.

That was why i had freaked out.

He was unusually rapid. He was avoiding the attacks of the giant wolves as if fighting the wind. It was unbelievable. I knew him for only a while and it turned out he knew me longer than that. And he wanted me dead.

My whole life was a lie. I was a player in a game i didn't know the rules. I didn't even know that game existed till the paws began to dissapear. And now the opposing team wanted to take me down too.

How was i supposed to believe that i was something too?

One of the times that i searched informations on the internet, i found a website about the creatures that were screaming when someone was about to die. When something bad happened and they wanted to protect themselves from the evil, they were just letting their true self come out. Back in the 16th century, there were thousands of people who had admitted that they were slowly losing their minds. They were seeing their dead family members when they were awake. They had said they couldn't control it. But, no one helped them. Instead, they killed them all. Some people believed in the supernatural and they thought that the world didn't need them. That they were better alone.

There was a woman who wanted to help the people who had unsual powers. The residents of her small village tried to change her mind, but over the years she was trying harder and harder. When she started taking people at her house, they decided that they should end this. So, they killed her along with all the people who had put their trust on her. Since the 18th century, no one had heard anything and that made people believe that the evil was gone. That was the thought until hundreds of people were found killed in Bloodline. The houses had been ruined and the forest was on fire.

But, that was just the beggining.

I pulled my hair back and i turned my gaze to the guy sitting next to me. His face was clouded, like he was lost in his own dark thoughts. I didn't dare to talk to him. I wasn't afraid. I was just scared because as it had turned out, i was valuable. The thought of him wanting to hurt me hadn't crossed my mind since i found out about their kind. He was being mean and rude to me most of the time , but it was just how his personality was. Even though a part of me hated him for not telling me the truth all this time and being a jerk for no reason, i couldn't understand him. That was why i didn't have the right to judge him.

And it was killing me not knowing what he was thinking at that moment. Was he mad at me because i was finally aware of what was really going on in my life? Was he nervous because it was just me and him in the car and no one was talking? Someone had to start speaking immediately.

He was the one who broke the silence between us.

"Just say it."

I hadn't realized that i was staring at him for so long till he turned his cold gaze at me, telling me to take my eyes off him. I glanced out of the window, but my left profile was on fire. He was looking at me and not on the road.

Can we get killed? Is that really possible?

I head him releasing a long sigh and i titled my head to my left to take a quick look at him.

"You can ask me whatever you want, you know." He said, his gaze now fixed on the road. "I don't bite."

I shivered. He noticed. I hugged my small waist with both hands. That was the wrong thing to say a few minutes after i had found out that he could bite me and kill me.

The silence returned, along with the nervousness. I couldn't tell if we were close to the house where Chase was living with the others. I had so many questions that needed to get answered that i could no longer think of anything else other than that.

I didn't want to make eye contact with him while we were talking, so i lowered my gaze to my hands. I started playing with the tip of my hoodie, as i let the words break out.

"Why am i so important to them?" I asked, keeping my tone low. I was conviced he hadn't heard me because my voice was close to a whisper. But then, his hands tightened around the wheel and i sensed that he was upset. He had probably believed that i wasn't going to ask him anything. I had proved him wrong.

I was relieved he didn't ask me to clarify the word "them". I wasn't sure if i was ready to say the word out loud. The name of their kind was much easier to be said out loud because they didn't want to kill me. But Devon had tried that twice already.

"You are very important to them." He ran a hand through his fluffy hair. "As you have not noticed, you can do some really crazy stuff. We will show you, don't worry. And... Well," He cleared his throat. ",if you try really hard, you can kill someone. You have the power to kill all the vampires. That's why they want you dead. And that's exactly why we need you."

"And when will i... you know, kill everyone?" I scoffed, but even a blind person would be able to tell that i faked it.

"We don't know." He admitted. "It's up to them. It's like we are waiting for a war to come." He quickly turned to look at me, probably because he had a suspicion i was upset. "We will know when it's time. Until then, we must get you ready, train you, tell you everything you need to know and of course, earn your trust."