Chapter 20

The room was full of silence, but there was tension. Even the darkest places inside the house knew that there was something wrong. They were staring at the five bodies that were standing above the kitchen table. But they couldn't see the paper laying on top of it. We, on the other side, had noticed it because we had put it there.

I could read no one's face. They all seemed to be thinking of something, a lot of things actually, but they weren't saying anything out loud. I didn't want anyone to ask me what was I thinking, since the note was about me, because I wouldn't be able to answer them with honesty. The truth was that I was thinking about a lot of things. All this time, I was such a fool. I really thought that there was nothing off with Quinn's absence. I wondered how long had been kidnapped by Devon. He wanted me to meet him, so he can give her to me.

I was okay with that. All I wanted was Quinn to be safe, she didn't have to get involved into this. It's already too late, Jayden told me when I decided to share that thought with the others.

I couldn't stand the silence.

"So, what are we going to do?" I prompted. No one turned to look at them.

Dove was sitting next to me in one of the black couches, while Riley was sitting in the other, close to us. Dante was standing above the wooden table, but his eyes weren't focused on the note. He seemed like he was trapped into his own thoughts. My mom and uncle were upstairs, talking, probably. They got terrified when they heard the sound of glass breaking, but Riley suggested to me that it wasn't right for them to know about the note. It wasn't wrong either, but they would get more worried and more scared and that wouldn't help the situation we were in.

I gazed at where I had seen Jayden standing and he was still there. Jayden was leaning in the wall near the stairs that were heading upstairs. He had his arms crossed and he had the same expression with Dante. Only that he was looking at me. I shifted awkwardly. He noticed me looking at him and he licked his lips, while his eyes were following my every move.

"I think we should let her go." Dante's suggestion surprised me. And when I looked around to see the other's reactions, I realized that I wasn't the only one who was surprised.

"What do you mean?" Dove looked tired. He must had been asleep since the day of the winter dance. Which wasn't a lot but it was very noticeable on her face. She rubbed her eyes with one hand.

"I'm just saying, he wants her. He, obviously, finds her very attractive and pretty. We can use that against him." He said, turning to face us all. "Act smart!"

I felt the walls closing around me. The oxygen wasn't enough for me and I forgot how to move my lips.

"No way." Jayden said quickly, still not moving.

"Things aren't so bad so far. He has her friend and he wants Sofia to meet him to get her back." He said. "If we don't do as he say, he will come after us. Do you really want that?"

Before anyone had the chance to say a thing on the topic, Jayden narrowed his eyes and spoke first.

"Did I hear this correctly? Things aren't bad so far?" He gasped out. "Haven't you noticed that he had kidnapped her?"

"He didn't, exactly, kidnap her! You are overreacting!"

"Oh, pardon me." He moved his back from the wall and walked toward to where Dante was standing. "What's the right word for a I'm going to kill all of you if she doesn't come and get her little friend, who by the way I have locked in my basement! type of situation?"

"How do you know she is locked in a basement?"

He looked at me over his shoulder. "That's the best case, danger."

I flushed. I could feel the heat on my face. H had never called me that nickname in front of other people. I was feeling embarrassed, only because no one seemed to find anything weird about that small word. I was feeling strange. He just said it like that, like it wasn't a big deal.

The muscled of his back seemed to tighten under the soft fabric of his t-shirt. I had finally came to understand why they were never cold and they had zero problem wearing t-shirts and strapless dresses. Wait, is Evie a werewolf too?

"I assume that you have noticed that Evie is not here with us, but she is one of us. Just so you have no other questions." He informed me, even though his face was fixed on Dante.

I wanted to ask them so many things, they had no idea how foggy my mind was at the moment. So many new informations helped me put all the missing pieces of the puzzle together. But, that didn't mean that everything was clear.

"Sofia is not going. We will find another way to rescue Quinn. She doesn't have to be the bait you want her so desperately to be." He gritted out, a sharp edge to his voice. "Besides, what's the matter with you? You used to be more kind."

Dante moved away from Jayden by punching his shoulders. But, Jayden stayed still in his place.

"You shouldn't defend her like this. Everyone is dead because of her and you know it!" His eyes travelled to where I was sitting and then returned to Jayden. "I'm gonna use the bathroom."

Even when Dante had gone upstairs and he was no longer around, Jayden didn't turn to look at us. His muscles were still tight and I was afraid of approaching him and touching his shoulder.

I couldn't think of many things. I knew that Quinn's life was on danger and I wasn't going to just stay there and wait for someone to come up with a plan. I knew the truth about them, what were they, and I knew that there were people who were after me. I was, also, aware of the fact that I wasn't crazy.

Or maybe I was and I just didn't know it yet.

I hopped to my feet, with my hands still resting on my thighs. "I want to talk to Chase."

Jayden turned to face me. His mouth sat agape for a long moment. He knew, just like the rest of them, that they couldn't keep me in the house without me to want that.

"I'll drive you." He said.

........................................................................

Be prepared for the next chapters because, I promise you, there are going to be a lot of things going on!!

~xxx to my moon lovers