Chapter 31

We stood by the bar in the backyard. Chase was clenching and unclenching his hands, while he was trying to avoid my gaze.

"Could you explain me what the hell was that?"

He released a breath. "Look, Blake is always behaving like that. He doesn't like any of us because he believes we have too much power in that age." He leaned in closer to my face. "Although, he is actually jealous of us but he doesn't want to admit that in front of us." He whispered.

"And why did he call me..." I stopped, trying to remember how, exactly, he called me.

"Daughter of the moon?" I nodded. "That's how the ancient ancestors had the people like you written in their books. I'm surprised you haven't noticed it while you were reading those books about the supernatural."

There was no need for me to ask him what he meant by "the people like me". He was talking about the people like my grandmother.

I rubbed the back of my neck with my right hand. "I just can't believe he could be worse than Jayden."

His body shook with a quiet laugh. "I don't think that he was worse than Jayden. He just doesn't know you well, yet. You'll see. He will change his mind." He assured me.

I could understand that most of the people in the pack were worrying about me not being the right one to help them. Maybe I wasn't. But that didn't mean I couldn't work on that.

I was ready to mention how handsome he looked in that black shirt he was wearing, but my eye caught a figure walking in the backyard. I froze. My heart started pounding in my chest like it was going to explode. She was walking beside two other men. They were both tall, pale and gorgeous. They couldn't be real. They seemed like they were made of porcelain. The guy in her left was blonde and the other guy was brunette, with long thick hair falling down his wide back. They were heading out if the party, towards the woods.

I was shocked by her attitude. She had come to the party, not afraid of getting caught by someone from the pack. She was walking like she wasn't the enemy in that place. I wished I could do something.

I returned my gaze to Chase, who was looking at me, confusion all over his face. "Everything okay?" I shook my head, glaring above his shoulder. "You saw something?" He followed my line of sight, but when he turned around, they had disappeared. I was feeling relieved, even though I shouldn't.

"Hey, what about you bring me a drink? I am really thirsty."

"Why don't you come inside with me?" He suggested, taking my hand in his.

"I want to take some fresh air." I squeezed his hand. "I'll be waiting right here."

He spared me a weak smile. He placed a soft kiss on the outside of my palm and then, he was gone through the glass doors.

It was dark and I shouldn't be walking around alone. Especially in the woods. But, just the idea of it, was tempting me. I didn't have time to call Jayden or Riley to go and follow the vampires who were, already, in the woods. I promised myself it would be quick. I wouldn't create any kind of mess, just like Jayden had warned me. I just wanted to know what they were up to.

They were totally up to something.

I found them standing around a fire. They were staring at each other. I could hear the sound of lips moving from the one who had his back on me. I used a tree trunk to cover myself. I rested my back on the hard wood and I stayed silent.

"What if they find out?" One of the guys shouted. The two others told him to keep his voice low and be careful with his tone.

"They might hear us." Ember whispered. "There is no way they find out. We will make sure they don't." Her voice sounded hoarse, like she was warning the other two. "Devon and Alice will kill us if they do."

"I don't see why you are so worried about that. We haven't even discussed about that yet."

"Right. We are still waiting for the other group of vampires to come to Bloodline." A male vampire agreed.

"When is that going to happen, exactly?" I peered over a bit, just so I could hear their whispers.

They were going to meet with them that weekend, in a restaurant close to the center of the town. I should definitely tell the others about that. But, still, I didn't know what they were going to discuss about. I needed to know.

"She shouldn't have escaped. If you could just do your job right, then we wouldn't be in that position right now."

"If you keep talking, you will be in the position where you are underground. Dead." Ember warned him. She crossed her arms under her flat chest.

"Now it's done." The brunette walked closer to the fire. "We need to come up with a plan soon. We are giving then time to prepare her, don't you see it? That's why they haven't come after us for kidnapping her and trying to end her life. The slaughter needs to happen in the next four weeks. No farther than that."

They stayed silent for only a couple of sexonds.

"He's right." The other pale vampire said. "I'm hungry for human flesh."

That was it. That was the moment where I was leaving so I could return home safe and alive. I needed to pass these information to the pack. They had to know about this.

I was about to bent and make my way out of there, before it was too late, but then I felt something moving next to me. I glared at my left and a loud gasp nearly slipped out of my mouth. A palm came over my mouth and his face approached mine as he pressed his body against mine.

"Don't scream."

I heard movements around us, but I couldn't really focus on that. His hard chest was against mine in a ridiculous way. When I heard someone saying, "Someone is here.", his body got closer to me. The air was out of my lungs and his hand was still covering my mouth. My nose was the only way for the air to come in and out.

The movements stopped and Jayden, slowly, took his hand away from my face. His body heat was increasing as agony was taking over both of us. After he was done glaring around for any sign of the vampires, his eyes rested on mine. He gently grabbed my face and took a careful look at it.

"I'm not injured." I whispered. I couldn't see his face, since his grip was tight.

"That's too bad." He said, making me frown. "That would give me a reason not to be mad at you. But, I guess now I can act like myself."

I bit the inside of my cheek.

Shit.