Chapter 40

I walked out of the house and raised the phone in the air so I could call Jayden again. I called him to tell him something important and he had just ended the call. He couldn't be serious. He couldn't just leave me like that. He better wasn't serious for his own! He might had gone outside his house and lost the signal. He might pressed the button in accident. I tried to excuse him inside my mind, because, at that moment, I really needed to talk to him.

He said there was something wrong. What could that be?

What if another attack happened? What if something had come up? What if they really needed me? I was realistic. I didn't think I was that much important to them. But, I had tried my best, I had been training all this time and I had learnt to have the control of myself.

Sort of. I was still working on it. But the point was that I was getting better. And I really wanted them to witness that with their own eyes. So, what if-

I heard a horn blow in distance and before I knew it, the noisy vehicle was on the side of the road. I could had guessed it was Jayden's or Chase's car. But these thoughts hadn't even crossed my mind. Because this car was dark green and it was smaller than theirs. Their cars were modern, classic. It was obvious they were expensive. But the car with the black windows seemed a little old. Eventually, the windows went down, revealing a handsome, nineteen-year-old man who was looking at me through piercing eyes.

"What are you doing there?" He asked. I lowered my hand when I felt the burden of it travelling to my upper arm.

"Jayden called me. I'm trying to call him back because he said that-" My mouth snapped shut the moment his hard voice interrupted mine.

"You don't have to worry about that anymore. Just get in the car."

I narrowed my eyes at him.

I couldn't tell if that was a demand or something I wasn't recognizing. Max was always calm and sweet-talking. But, now there was something else there.

Max gleamed at my direction when he noticed me still standing in the pavement and staring at him with confusion all over my face. He released a long sigh as he returned his gaze back to the road ahead of him. "Jayden had sent me to come and get you." He explained. "Something happened. We need you."

Before he had even finished his sentence, I was already walking towards his car. Jayden needed me. He wouldn't had sent someone to pick me up if it wasn't something very serious. But what had made my heart flinch, was the fact that they needed me. The pack wanted me back. They had thought I was capable of finding a solution for the problem that had come up. My memory travelled back to everything I had done the past few weeks. I figured I hadn't done anything that could get me in trouble. Especially into something that had to do with pack. So, now Jayden couldn't blame me for it.

I knew I shouldn't get very excited about it. As I said, Jayden wouldn't waste his time with trying to track me down if it wasn't something important for him. Max's arrival meant that something really bad had happened.

Max started the engine a few seconds after I had climbed in the car like it was the end of the world. But then I thought- What if it was the end of the world? Maybe the vampires had decided to start the war. Chase had told me once that they only needed one night to accomplish something so catastrophic. Something that would be painful for everyone in the town. Something like the slaughter that was only a few days away.

No one knew when they were going to attack. They had left us without any new information. We were close to the end of the week, so I assumed it was close enough for me to start panicking. But, no. I had promised myself i wasn't going to panic for a thing I was going to win against. We were going to win.