Chapter 45

About ten minutes later, we were halfway the woods. Jayden was ahead of all of us and we were following him from behind. Trae had a sharp, wooden weapon falling from his shoulder. He had it on him when they found me and when I asked him why he was carrying it, he said that it would be easier to end the chase before dawn if we had it with us. It was going to take down, at least, twenty vampires.

I looked up the sky. It was still dark, but it was different from earlier. We could see ahead of us. The gray clouds were visible and that was a sign morning wasn't far away. The sky was in dark pretty colors, like dark blue. But, it was going to turn into a lighter blue in about an hour, according to what Jayden told me last time I asked him what time was it. He had his phone in his jacket, unlike me.

I leaned in closer to my mom's ear. "I thought you didn't like Jayden."

She arched a brown eyebrow at me. "I like Jayden. He is a good leader. I just don't like his kind."

I pinched my eyebrows together. "Why not? What's wrong with being a werewolf?"

"I really wish you never get to experience it." She mumbled under her breath. The dents between my eyebrows deepened.

She was being unreasonable. I thought she liked them just because they were keeping me safe, but now... I had figured she didn't like them at all.

"Why not?" I asked her. "Mum?"

She turned her head at my direction and shot me with a warning. "He is listening." She whispered. I hadn't understood that this was a problem to her. She didn't mind telling me she wasn't cool with them. She was, obviously, feeling uncomfortable when they were around her, too. Was it the smell? I couldn't tell why. None of them was smelling bad. Almost every one of them was wearing a perfume. A really good one.

Suddenly, Jayden stopped and I did too, just a few inches behind him. He had blocked my path. I tried to study his face but it was almost impossible, just like every other time I had tried to understand what he was thinking of.

"Did you hear that?" He prompted, his husky voice coming out as a whisper.

"No, I didn't." I said slowly, glancing around. His sharp jawline moved and a muscle twitched.

"Me neither." He said out loud and then, he continued his unfinished pack. My eyelids thinned as I tried to process what he had just said.

I ran my fingers over the top of my head. My steps grew faster as I made an effort to keep up with his walking. He was the worst.

"If we survive, remind me to kill you."

He snorted. "It's not funny!" I scolded.

"I know." I rolled my eyes. "I just, accidentally, brought the image of it in my mind and it's hilarious!" I walked past him. He hooked the inside of my elbow and jerked me back, forcing me to face him. His gaze had darken and his pupils were dilated, but the corners of his lips were slightly pushed upward. "You are not allowed to kill your own people, Kane. You are a weapon. You kill the enemy. Is that understood?"

I forced my head to move in a weak nod as he was staring at me. I was afraid he could see through me. The way his eyes were glued to mine was hypnotizing, like this was his purpose.

"Why do you always to be like that?" My chin trembled, but I let myself express no emotions. I wasn't going to show him any more of my weaknesses.

"Why?" He prompted. His grip in my arm tightened as he peered around, making sure my mum and Trae were walking past us, not noticing our "argument". "I am your alpha, Kane. I can be as cruel as I want to be with you. I can destroy you, if I want to. You better keep that in mind before you open your mouth."