chapter 64

It didn't take long for their calming therapy to become heated and all of them were a sweating mess when Emmett came towards the Spure part of the woods. His eyes wide and looking around, nostrils flared.

"Hey Em," Alex says and she sighs before grabbing a beer for the three of them. "Want to see who's beating the other's ass?" He shakes his head.

"Something happened with Jasper."

Now everyone has seen enough movies to know that this would normally be the part where they don't listen anymore and blindly start a search for their counterpart, however Alex had some sense in her. Besides, Emmett could be joking.

"What exactly is something?" Harvey notices her stiff stature as she asks this question, not even taking a sip of her drink.

"Bella cut her finger on giftpaper." Peter holds back a chuckle, only that girl could do that. "Jasper didn't do anything," Emmett quickly flails his arms forward. "But he really wanted too. Carlisle had to stitch Bella and Edward brought her home."

"Where is Jasper now?"

"I came straight from our family meeting." Emmett mutters softly. "They want to go." A slow burn fills Alex' chest but she decides to ignore it.

"Where is Jasper?"

"He is blowing off some steam before he was coming to see you." She nods and she looks at her sparring partners.

"Go." Peter nudges and Emmett holds her back as she starts to run.

"He'll come to you."

"I know. Edward won't."

**

The Cullens didn't need Alice's gift to know that Alex was coming, however, they would have loved it if they knew what kind of mood she was in.

"Where is Edward?" Her voice soft and it made the parents of the whole bunch flinch. They didn't hear her step unto the balcony.

"Alex.." Carlisle holds up his hands and walks towards her but she takes a step back.

"I'm not here to hurt him." Her jaw clenches and losses again. "I just need to yell at him."

"He's on his way to their meadow."

"Rose!" Esme quickly says in an attempt to shut her up but Rosalie just shrugs.

"I told everyone from the beginning." She turns around and walks away but not before giving Alex a soft and comforting smile, something that Alex knew was really rare.

Alex hears her name being called but makes her way to the beautiful meadow that would now be elegantly spread in moonlight.

"You knew that this could happen." Alex says as she marches towards the man in the middle of the open field. He slowly nods while keeping his eyes fixed on something in front of him. "You are making him feel worse." Alex shouts at Edward. "Nothing went wrong, we all knew the risks! You don't have to make it worse for him!" Tears well up in her eyes as she looks at the man in front of her and she punches his chest. "Fucking say something."

He purses his lips before letting himself slide to the ground and patting the grass next to him. She sighs and lays down, looking at the moon way up in the sky.

"I'm not doing this to make him feel punished, or any of my siblings. It just showed me - for the second time - that Bella's humanity is to fragile to be around us. Jasper was the perfect example of that." Alex understood but she also felt some sort of attack as he uttered the last sentence.

"It could've happened with anyone."

"But-.."

"I'm not going anywhere. You want her to get hurt by me?"

"I don't want her to get hurt, that's the whole point and by being here, I'm putting her in danger of my whole family." He looks to the side and sees a tear trickling down her cheek.

"What about me?" He frowns. "I trusted you. I gave you a chance to be my friend." She sits upright and looks at him. "And now you're being an asshole which could have been avoided from the start."

*

"Carlisle, Esme and Edward decided that we should go." He murmers as they sit on the porch outside of her house. She frowns and turns to him. "Rosalie agrees, Emmett will follow her wherever.. Alice is kind of neutral."

"And you?"

"I already packed my bags." He sighs, remembering the events of the day.

"Don't you think we should talk about this? And decide together? Instead of what they are telling you- us, what to do?" She shakes her head confused.

"We are right now aren't we?" She snorts.

"No, you just decided for us. I'm not going." He rolls his eyes at her stubbornness.

"I don't want to leave you behind." He says to her.

"Well I'm not going because nothing went wrong. You're stronger than you think. I know you are. Everyone is just running away, even though they know it's not the only option!" He raises an eyebrow at her and takes a deep breath.

"I can't stay behind, I can't do this without my family." Alex feels a sudden burning in the back of her throat and realises that she's on the verge of crying. "And I know what you're saying, I'm hearing it loud and clear. But it was never my intention to ask you to come." The tears start to appear in her eyes and Jasper's eyes widen. "No not like that." He quickly wraps his arms around her and pulls her tight. "I can't ask you to be away from your brother right now. He needs you." And with those kind words, her heart breaks. She starts to cry and he just rubs her back, he would cry too if he could.

"I love you." She utters but it wasn't much louder than a whisper.

"I love you too." He pushes her back and wipes away the tears from her eyes. "This is not the end." Suddenly she starts to chuckle and he automatically smiles at her happiness.

"Are you saying that we are going to try long distance?" He smiles and nods.

"If you want. I'd understand if you didn't." He looks down and Alex frowns at his remorseful tone. Everyone knew the risks and it probably would have been a lot worse if Alex had been there.

Alex lifts his chin and smiles at him. "I would love too."