Domi Sotto

The Bootcamp Mentors are proud to present a spotlight interview with DomiSotto.  Check out this writer's works and give them a shout out in the comments. 

BCM: What motivated you to become a Bootcamp Mentor and what have you found most valuable about the program?

Domi: I can't tell you how much the Bootcamp Workshops helped me in the past two years. I like the Wattys because it's the chance for those serious about their stories to be noticed. So, I joined this year as a Mentor for the community spirit it creates and to give a fellow-writer a bit of a boost.

BCM: What prompted you to start writing on Wattpad and what do you like most about the platform?

Domi: I wrote my first novel and looked up where I could post it. I was looking for a social writing site, similar to the fan-fiction sites, only for original fiction. I like that I never feel alone with my thoughts on Wattpad. The clubs make feedback easy to gather, which is a huge thing for me. It's such a large site that I can find writers with similar interests and books to read no matter what I'm into on any given day.

BCM: Tell us one thing about your writing process that you've incorporated into your mentoring.

Domi: I blog my Watty prep process and how I adapt it for my talented Mentee Kacy—with her permission, of course! I asked her to divide her story into Acts and then subdivide into segments similarly to how I handle my own manuscript.

BCM: If you had to describe your 2022 mentee's story in three words, what would they be?

Domi: Exciting, Spanky, and Whole-hearted.

BCM: Will you be entering a story into the 2022 Wattys? If so, what motivated you to write the story?

Domi: Yes, it's Lone Werewolf. It began for me with wanting to do more than just feel sad and helpless whenever I catch a glimpse of derision toward LGBTQ community coming out of Russia. I figure, hope begets hope, and even a little bit is better than none. So, hope is my motivation.

BCM: Share two Wattpad story recommendations.

Domi: Check out these two! 

pixelmum The Sigma Asset  It's a combination of a writer's writer book, a hooking character premise (a mafia's callboy who is also a classical pianist!) and a plot that builds up fast. Noice!

BlueJay325 Fake Me to Church  Here's something that you rarely find on Wattpad—a mystery story that builds up and is quality. It has strong religious themes and it is set in high school and both could be a turnoff, but I think the plot is worth it! Check it out, see if you could get into it. I know I did!

~ 2023 Spotlight Interview with Domi ~

BCM: What is the username of your 2023 mentee and the title of their story? If you had to describe your mentee's story in three words, what would they be?

Domi: The story I am mentoring for 2023 is Cut from a Tattered Cloth by KryssaStevenson. I can gush about it endlessly, but three words/concepts I would use to describe it:

Flower-power

Vibrant

Effortlessly immersive

BCM: Will you be entering a story into the 2023 Wattys? If so, what motivated you to write the story? If not, can you share what you're working on?

Domi: I wanted to enter two stories into the Wattys, but Wattpad's challenges and contests enticed me to write and develop so many ideas to the pitch stage in 2022-2023, that I don't have the zeal to prepare both stories.

Hence, I am focusing on 'Champion in Love' as my one Watty 2023 entry, while finishing my two 2023 ONC projects as novels; learning AI to relaunch an old project, 'The Space Spinster', as a lite novel (just like I've always wanted, but couldn't); and working behind the scenes on the 10 chapter challenge plus more pitches. Basically, I've entered another growth period as a writer, learning to organize not just my projects, but project ideas as well.

'Champion in Love' is an important book to me, because my mom likes it (if you met my mom, you'd understand the sentiment).

This story grew from a Guardian article about the Lovers of Modena burial site, and the expert opinion that it's hard to say for certain why two men would have been buried in an embrace, with rings... from an ONC 2022 prompt... and from gladiatorial lore I soaked up during my lifetime of wondering about random stuff... and from watching coaches do their work in leet sports... and my adolescent love for tragic heroes of operatic proportions.

The resulting book doesn't fit any verticals, genres or guidelines, but screw that. I adore it, so I am entering it.

BCM: Share two Wattpad story recommendations.

Domi: It's my absolute pleasure to bring these two absurdly underrated gems to your attention:

Kin of the Curse by AliKatMeow 

Me & the Monster by sissymisscece 

Thank you, Domi. We wish you all the best in your writing endeavors.

Keeping watching this space for more spotlight interviews.