KeiraKnox1

The Bootcamp Mentors are proud to present a spotlight interview with KeiraKnox1 author of The Bright Side of Darkness. Check out this writer's works and give them a shout out in the comments. 

BCM:    How did you discover the Bootcamp Mentors and what have you found most valuable about the program?

KeiraKnox1: If I'm being honest, I'm not sure. I think someone I was following might have posted about it on their message board. I think the most valuable thing I've gotten from the program is the writer community. There are so many amazing writers that it's impossible to not make friends.

BCM:  What prompted you to start writing on Wattpad and what do you like most about the platform as a writer?

KeiraKnox1: When I first joined Wattpad, it was because my friend wrote something about it on a piece of paper I found on the floor. She spoke about the books she was writing and all of the good, free books she found. So I got the app, thinking I might find some things to read. I wasn't much of a writer yet, though I wrote a few stories here and there. That was in sixth grade. But I found so many amazing books (that have since won Wattys or become paid stories, like Float, which only had a couple hundred reads at the time) and decided to give it a shot. I wasn't a good writer, but I enjoyed doing it. What I like most about the platform is that you don't even have to be a grammatically perfect writer. You'll find your readers and they'll stick with you. And the support from other users is overwhelming. I find that amazing.

BCM: What motivated you to write the story you're submitting to the 2022 Wattys?

KeiraKnox1: Well, I had read a book about a teen with a disability, and I realized that there were probably only a few hundred books about disabilities. So, I decided to try my hand at writing a blind character. And my female MC contains a large portion of my personality and background, and I've kind of wanted to show my side of my story. Not the side others see (though the events are very different compared to my life). And it has already evolved so much. I can't wait to see how it ends.

BCM:  If you had to describe your story in three words, what would they be?

KeiraKnox1: real, meaningful, bold

BCM: Tell us one thing about your writing process that has helped you the most.

KeiraKnox1: To be frank, I'm not even sure I have a writing process. I'm constantly changing my system of writing. One thing that stays consistent, though, is the amount of similar books I read to get past writer's block, and the sheer multitude of times I read and edit my own work when I get stuck.

BCM: Share two Wattpad story recommendations.

KeiraKnox1: Trapped By the Mafia by DomiSotto and Because of Haven Beach by GemmaMari10

Thank you, KeiraKnox1. We wish all the best in your writing endeavors.

It's not over til it's over. And there's more on the way.