Mikrokosmos96

The Bootcamp Mentors are proud to present a spotlight interview with Mikrokosmos96 author of Empress of Self-Ruin. Check out this writer's work and give them a shout out in the comments.

BCM: How did you discover the Bootcamp Mentors and what have you found most valuable about this Wattpad community program?

Mikrokosmos96: I first discovered the Bootcamp Mentors through my book club. I used to be pretty passive on Wattpad and only started being more active in the community when I joined this book club. My members were talking about this program and that's how I found out about this wonderful program. Since a few of my members were also participating, I thought I might give it a shot as well. I never expected that I would be chosen as a mentee, so I was very surprised at first. 

What I found most valuable about this program is, it's giving me the opportunity to get to know a lot of wonderful people and talented writers in the community who help me improve my writing skill.

BCM: What prompted you to start writing on Wattpad and what do you like most about the platform as a writer?

Mikrokosmos96: So far, I think Wattpad is the most user-friendly platform for writers and readers. That's why, when I decided to post my story for the first time, Wattpad was my first choice, and I don't regret it.

BCM: What motivated you to write the story you're submitting to the 2023 Wattys?

Mikrokosmos96: If I might be honest, I first wrote this story out of spite. I'm a very picky reader and I have a specific genre that I like. But after years of reading in this genre, I started getting fed up with how repetitive, overused, and predictable these stories are. I searched and searched, but nothing could satisfy me anymore. So at one point, I decided to just make one myself since I couldn't find any. 

This genre is often looked down upon due to how the stories are usually written (lack of substance, shallowness, cliche, etc). But I want to prove that we can create something interesting, deep, and meaningful within this genre, too. I'm all about a raw and relatable character. So instead of aiming to write something that makes people feel something they never have before, I want to use my story to let people know there's someone out there who also thinks or feels something they always have, but could never express.

BCM: If you had to describe your story in three words, what would they be?

Mikrokosmos96: Heart-wrenching, self-reflective, controversial.

BCM: Tell us one thing about your writing process that has helped you the most.

Mikrokosmos96: Listening to a lot of music. I'm a very lyrical person and I often get writing inspiration from a song. When I listen to music, in my head, I would imagine what scene would be most suitable for the song. Sometimes, I would even cry listening to a song while thinking about my character because I'm very emotionally attached to them (they're all like my babies, even the most hateful character). It might sound overdramatic, but it helps me picture the story better.

BCM: Share two Wattpad story recommendations.

Mikrokosmos96: It's so hard to only choose two, but if I have to narrow it down, it would be:

Hell is an Empty Heart - A very beautifully written Greek myth retelling by AnnamitaMuscaria. The story is spectacular, very female-empowering, and it gives me a new perspective on Greek myths.

I Became the Duke in a Cringey Romance Novel - A fantastic comedic/satire story by eatingher_words. It's light-hearted and easy to digest yet very well-written, and one of the few stories I'm still reading during my editing period. After drowning myself in so much angst, her story is truly what I need to refresh my mind.

Thank you, Mikrokosmos96. We wish you all the best in your writing endeavors.

More BCM spotlight interviews are on the way!