MollyMcBrideLasco

The Bootcamp Mentors are proud to present a spotlight interview with MollyMcBrideLasco author of Running Back. Check out this writer's work and give them a shout out in the comments.

BCM: How did you discover the Bootcamp Mentors and what have you found most valuable about this Wattpad community program?

MollyMcBrideLasco: I'm somewhat new to Wattpad, so I researched opportunities to learn about the platform with the hope that I could maximize reader engagement. I stumbled upon the Bootcamp Mentors program and decided to apply. I was thrilled to be chosen by Caroline Richardson who has had great success on Wattpad. She was a perfect fit for me and really pushed me out of my comfort zone. 

Working one-on-one with such a talented writer has definitely been the most valuable part of this process! Caroline understands how to revise a story with the Wattpad reader in mind. It has been a wonderful and enriching experience, and my book is the best version it has ever been.

BCM: What prompted you to start writing on Wattpad and what do you like most about the platform as a writer?

MollyMcBrideLasco: After a few rounds of "loved it! But not quite the right fit for us" from publishing imprints at the "big five," my agent encouraged me to try Wattpad experimentally. I was very apprehensive at first, but once I started posting chapters, I became really excited at the instant gratification of getting my work to readers. That also forced me to reckon with the fact that real readers are right on the other side of that "publish" button. I found my inner critic became much more aware of narrative lags and plot drag. I punched up the emotion and intensity, focusing on how I could create more tension and energy.

BCM: What motivated you to write the story you're submitting to the 2023 Wattys?

MollyMcBrideLasco: Running Back was inspired by my experience with my oldest son playing peewee football in an ultra-competitive tackle league in Texas. I was astounded at the pressure that parents put on their sons as young as five years old. One boy in particular on my son's second grade team motivated me to write this novel. He had complained about his leg hurting all season, complaints his father responded to with the equivalent of "suck it up." It turns out, the boy had a sarcoma in his femur. He wasn't diagnosed until the spring of that year, and by then, the cancer had spread.

Growing up with three older brothers, I only saw the privilege that being male in our culture afforded boys. I was much more aware of how gender expectations could oppress girls. It wasn't until I became a mother of three boys myself that I realized it works both ways. The expectations and cultural constructions of masculinity foisted upon boys can be equally oppressive, even deadly. After the little boy on my son's team had his leg amputated, I saw him and his father together. The guilt, grief, and despair written all over his father's face haunted me. I knew I had to write this story.

BCM: If you had to describe your story in three words, what would they be?

MollyMcBrideLasco: All The Feels

BCM: Tell us one thing about your writing process that has helped you the most.

MollyMcBrideLasco: Talking to myself in the car! So much of my writing happens in my head, while I'm running or driving. I have entire dialogue threads played out before I even write them. Creating a story or character playlist with songs that the character would listen to or be inspired by is also big for me. It really helps me get into the character's mindset.

BCM: Share two Wattpad story recommendations.

MollyMcBrideLasco: Out of His League by MustangSabby because I like the way Caroline has two central consciousness characters—male and female—couched in a third person narrative. It's a really effective way to write romance as it emphasizes the push-pull of relationships and the ways that men and women (mis)communicate. I also really enjoyed Boot Camp by ginawriter because I love first person, present-tense narratives that follow a strong female lead who is in the midst of a transformation. 

Thank you, MollyMcBrideLasco. We wish you all the best in your writing endeavors.

More BCM spotlight interviews are on the way!