katrin_writes

The Bootcamp Mentors are proud to present a spotlight interview with katrin_writes author of What I Should Have Done. Check out this writer's works and give them a shout out in the comments. 

BCM: How did you discover the Bootcamp Mentors and what have you found most valuable about the program?

katrin_writes: This is my second year on the Bootcamp Discord server, but I half didn't have time to do the Bootcamp last year and half chickened out. The workshops have been immensely helpful in improving my logline and summary, and it's so nice to have someone in my corner who is rooting for me and my story and listens and supports me.

BCM:  What prompted you to start writing on Wattpad and what do you like most about the platform as a writer?

katrin_writes: I've been writing for at least ten years now, but only started taking it seriously two years ago after I had been on Wattpad (but not active) for a while. At some point, it occurred to me: "Wait a minute. Writers post on Wattpad. I write. I could post on Wattpad." So I took a couple of months and gathered my courage and went for it.

I appreciate how supportive the community is as a whole (there are unfortunate exceptions). It makes my day when someone reaches out to me to tell me they loved my story.

BCM:  What motivated you to write the story you're submitting to the 2022 Wattys?

katrin_writes: I was studying abroad in the US and for the first time in a long time, I felt fully present in that moment. I was happy there. Add the fact that I've always written about events or settings I'm familiar with, and you get the logical consequence of me writing a story based on my study-abroad experience, at least very loosely based. (Can anyone guess the college I attended by the description in the book?)

BCM: If you had to describe your story in three words, what would they be?

katrin_writes: Three words on how I hope my readers perceive it: honest, complex, relatable

BCM:  Tell us one thing about your writing process that has helped you the most.

katrin_writes: Having a cheerleader! I was still scribbling away, writing for myself, when I told one friend about the project that is now my Bootcamp project. She got excited about it and her enthusiasm is what motivated me to finish the novel, something I had never thought I could do after starting and abandoning so many projects throughout my teenage years. She's not on Wattpad, but still: Thank you, Isabella! You're a star.

BCM: Share two Wattpad story recommendations.

katrin_writes: Wandering With You by Helena Gonski Jazzy1983 -- wanderlust but can't travel yourself? Let Thomas and Nadia whisk you away on a backpacking tour through South America!

Whistleblower by Kate Marchant ToastedBagels -- not a secret treasure, but a treasure nonetheless. Looking for a strong yet sensitive female main character, believable conflict, and an addictive slow-burn romance? Look no further!

Thank you, katrin_writes. We wish you all the best in your writing endeavors.

We can't stop, won't stop bringing you more amazing interviews.