Stefanie Ivashkov

The Bootcamp Mentors are proud to present a spotlight interview with Wimbug. Check out this writer's work and give them a shout out in the comments. 

BCM: What motivated you to become a Bootcamp Mentor and what have you found most valuable about this Wattpad community program?

Stefanie: I felt like after all my time on Wattpad, I could give back. I'm very passionate about writing and the process itself, so it felt like a great opportunity to use that knowledge to help others and also learn a few things myself.

I love the fact that I have a partner I can brainstorm with and get into the nitty-gritty of writing stories. It's helping me learn more about the craft myself.

BCM: What prompted you to start writing on Wattpad and what is one thing you find valuable about the platform?

Stefanie: I've been writing for as long as I can remember, but it can be a lonely experience. Wattpad was just what I needed to share my work with potential readers. The most valuable thing about it are the friends I've made along the way. The platform is filled with amazing people and BCM is just further proof of that.

BCM: Tell us one thing about your writing process that you've incorporated into your mentoring.

Stefanie: I'm very attentive to cause and effect. Given the nature of the story I'm helping with (which is very character driven), I'm looking out for the reactions and the triggers of the character to make sense and drive the plot forward.

BCM: What is the username of your 2023 mentee and the title of their story? If you had to describe your mentee's story in three words, what would they be?

Stefanie: I had the opportunity to be chosen by the wonderful GreenForestWitch and to read and help with her story Intentional Poisonings. It's a very character driven story about the struggles of a 17-year-old boy who is trying to handle every hardship alone. I'm a big fan of guy POVs, especially in teen fiction, because there are so few of those lately.

It's hard to describe the story in three words, but I'd go with Gray Needs Help, lol. Don't try to face it all alone.

BCM: Will you be entering a story into the 2023 Wattys? If so, what motivated you to write the story? If not, can you share what you're working on?

Stefanie: I'm not sure yet. I think I will enter because I have two sequels up and running Curtain Call which is the epic finale to my Jewel Project Series, and Veils of Storm, the second book in the Fairy's Gambit series. I wanted to enter my current WIP in the ongoing category, but I fell off the wagon with updating it for a couple of weeks, so I'm not sure I'll meet the criteria.

All three stories are different, and I like to be as diverse as possible (even if my style is fairly similar). We go from adventure to fantasy and to a villain origin story that is hopefully twisted and exciting. Now if I can only gear up and get the story done.

BCM: Share two Wattpad story recommendations.

Stefanie: This is usually a very hard question for me. Of course, I recommend my mentee's story.

But apart from that, it would have to be The Dragon's Scale by Cross-Warrior, a fun fantasy involving hidden magical powers and, of course, dragons. And Siren Song by unboundwings, which is a rich high fantasy set in a world where gods like to come out and play.

Thank you, Wimbug. We wish you all the best in your writing endeavors.

More BCM spotlight interviews are on the way!