AJ Arnault

The Bootcamp Mentors are proud to present a spotlight interview with ajArnault  Check out this writer's works and give them a shout out in the comments. 

BCM: What motivated you to become a Bootcamp Mentor and what have you found most valuable about the program? 

AJ: As a former mentee, I really wanted to give back to the amazing Bootcamp Community that helped me as a young writer. When I became a Star, I knew one of the first things on my list was apply to become a mentor! The most valuable part of the BCM program is the community that we're building. Serious writers who want an opportunity to learn and grow from like-minded peers.

BCM:  What prompted you to start writing on Wattpad and what do you like most about the platform?

AJ: I started writing on Wattpad on a whim! I heard about it on a HPFF forum, and decided to give it a shot. I was slightly overwhelmed at first because I needed to make a book cover and had absolutely no idea how to do that! Once I figured things out, I checked on the forums and it was history from there!

We all stand on the shoulders of giants, so to speak, and I love the writing friends I've met on Wattpad. If it wasn't for their kindness and openness, I wouldn't be where I am today.

BCM: Tell us one thing about your writing process that you've incorporated into your mentoring.

AJ: I edit my own work with a beat sheet, and that is a big part of how I approach working with a mentee. I try to help the writer give the book a structure, while still maintaining the tone and heart of their story.

BCM: If you had to describe your mentee's story in three words, what would they be?

AJ: Witchy, fantastical, thought-provoking

BCM: Will you be entering a story into the 2022 Wattys? If so, what motivated you to write the story?

AJ: I will be entering a few stories! Sailing West, which is a contemporary romance that was shortlisted last year, as well as its spinoff Riding South. If I can finish the NA Fantasy story I'm writing in time, I'll enter that too.

BCM: Share two Wattpad story recommendations.

AJ: Definitely check out Justice for the Fallen by axgirl13 and Ocean Blue by Olivaughn

Thank you, AJ. We wish you all the best in your writing endeavors.

Stick around for more spotlight chats.