kacyreadsbooks

The Bootcamp Mentors are proud to present a spotlight interview with kacyreadsbooks author of Haven. Check out this writer's works and give them a shout out in the comments. 

BCM: How did you discover the Bootcamp Mentors and what have you found most valuable about the program?

kacyreadsbooks: I didn't even know what Wattys BootCamp was! I only discovered them because a few writers that I follow on Wattpad turned out to be mentors! So when they posted a the story on their profile with their wish list, I was intrigued. I didn't know that there was even a program like this, but I'm so glad there are people and resources out there to help you refine your craft.

The workshops are informative and even if you missed them, the details stay up for you to go back and use as a resource when writing and editing. It's important to remember that the mentors are volunteering their time to help others, and we are so thankful for them, especially the effort they put into our making our stories the best they can be.

BCM: What prompted you to start writing on Wattpad and what do you like most about the platform as a writer?

kacyreadsbooks: After joining Wattpad in 2015, I was a silent reader for years, never having the courage to post my own work even though I'd been writing since middle school. Reading stories on Wattpad and seeing all these people just like me inspired me to keep writing, and eventually I posted the first draft of my book baby.

My favorite thing is the fellowship and community around Wattpad, and it's motivating because you don't have to be a published or famous author to be a part of the WP community. It's a place for anyone's story to be told.

BCM: What motivated you to write the story you're submitting to the 2022 Wattys?

kacyreadsbooks: After countless drafts and endless revisions, my Watty entry HAVEN has undergone multiple facelifts over time. From major plot changes, to character names, it's an entirely different book than when I first began writing.

The story is told through the eyes of a sheltered, anxious MC who ventures out into an unknown world where her ideals are challenged through adventures and moral dilemmas. The trials she faces are relatable in the sense that we as humans beings normally struggle with change, especially when faced with situations we are unfamiliar with.

I wanted to write a story that shows it's okay to struggle, but it's also important to have an open mind when embracing and experiencing new things and peoples.

BCM: If you had to describe your story in three words, what would they be?

kacyreadsbooks: Dystopian, Bravery, Change

BCM: Tell us one thing about your writing process that has helped you the most.

kacyreadsbooks: My writing process used to be non-existent—in the beginning, I was a pantser who just wrote with no goal in mind, my story had a zillion plot holes, and most worst of all, I'd almost never finish writing the story!

One thing that's helped me with that is outlining. It doesn't have to be too specific, but having a general outline of where I want my story to go and end up has helped me write stories from beginning to end. Everything else in the middle can come later.

BCM: Share two Wattpad story recommendations.

kacyreadsbooks: I have so many favorite WP stories! If I had to narrow it down, it'd be the following:

Blaze by mrsmommyesq — an NA romance with relatable characters and juicy drama.

Spellbound by CrystalAndFelicity — a paranormal romance about a woman inheriting a haunted hotel and uncovering family secrets.

Thank you, kacyreadsbooks. We wish you all the best in your writing endeavors.

Stay tuned for more fun and informative spotlight interviews.