Maria Crawford

The Bootcamp Mentors are proud to present a spotlight interview with ReeReverie Check out this writer's works and give them a shout out in the comments. 

BCM: What motivated you to become a Bootcamp Mentor and what have you found most valuable about the program?

Maria: I was motivated by the heartfelt sentiment behind the creation of this program. At its core, Bootcamp Mentors is about writers uplifting other writers. On a platform where competition can oftentimes be so fierce, it's incredibly refreshing to witness writers joining and bonding over one common goal--bringing a story to its fullest potential.

This program instills hope in new authors. It encourages and rewards hard work. Throughout the entirety of this process, real and meaningful friendships are forged. This is what I find to be the most valuable aspect of all.

BCM: What prompted you to start writing on Wattpad and what do you like most about the platform?

Maria: As a journalist, I was always expected to remain impartial in my work. Since I'm naturally a very passionate and expressive person, the rigidity felt suffocating. I needed a creative outlet without limitations. Wattpad has been that for me. The fact I can interact with dedicated readers in real time and have heartfelt discussions with them is just the icing on the cake.

BCM: Tell us one thing about your writing process that you've incorporated into your mentoring.

Maria: Viewing a manuscript with a macro lens can be pretty overwhelming and intimidating. That's why I prefer to focus on small sections at first. When I write, I devote all of my attention and energy to one chapter at a time. That has carried over to how I mentor as well. When I finally pan out and see the big picture, I can be sure all of the minute details are firmly in place as well.

BCM: If you had to describe your mentee's story in three words, what would they be?

Maria: Introspective, symbolic, honest.

BCM: Will you be entering a story into the 2022 Wattys? If so, what motivated you to write the story?

Maria: Yes! I plan to enter my novel A Thousand Butterflies.

I wrote this deeply personal story as a means to heal, and to encourage others to love themselves a little more along the way. Shedding light on some very dark topics (mental and physical illnesses, struggling with one's sexuality, familial dysfunction) was paramount. It's crucial to have these discussions, even if they're difficult at times. Pain can be synonymous with growth. And love can be formed from the ashes.

I felt the fiction world could also do with more representation of disabled, indigenous, and lesbian characters. Visibility is so important.

BCM: Share two Wattpad story recommendations.

Maria: My True First by Alwyn_Knighton  and Impish Gambino by kek_lee_writes 

Thank you, Maria. We wish you all the best in your writing endeavors.

We have more spotlights prepared. Don't touch that dial.

 Don't touch that dial