Zoe Blessing

The Bootcamp Mentors are proud to present a spotlight interview with Zoe_Blessing Check out this writer's works and give them a shout out in the comments. 

BCM: What motivated you to become a Bootcamp Mentor and what have you found most valuable about the program?

Zoe: I have a lot of knowledge to offer and have been sharing it in my guidebook, How to Write Stories People Will Love. When I first learned about the Bootcamp mentorship program, it seemed like a natural next step. Being part of a community like the Bootcamp Mentors is empowering for everyone involved. Each person is there for the purpose of moving forward, whatever that means for each individual. Whether it's for bolstering one's writing prowess, getting closer to a Watty award, or advancing one's career, we're all in it to help each other succeed. We inspire each other.

BCM: What prompted you to start writing on Wattpad and what do you like most about the platform?

Zoe: I first heard of Wattpad from reading the acknowledgements section of Cinder, by Marissa Meyer. If this amazing author was on there, maybe it was worth checking out. So I gave it a shot. I read all sorts of guides about how to succeed on Wattpad because I knew that, like any other platform, you can't just start posting and expect people to find you there. Well, unless you're Marissa Meyer, lol. The most amazing thing about Wattpad is the connectedness of its members. Reading and writing can be such a solitary endeavor, but when we put in the effort to talk to and respond to others, the sense of community we get is so rewarding. We feel seen, and that's not something we always get in our daily lives.

BCM: Tell us one thing about your writing process that you've incorporated into your mentoring.

Zoe: My writing process... uh... as a pantser I'm not really sure I have a process! I write a scene until the words run out, then I reread what I wrote, reworking awkward phrasings or adding missing details. If that inspires more words then I continue the scene or start the next scene. I go by feelings, so if something doesn't feel right while going through a mentee's manuscript, I'll point it out. If I encounter wordy sentences, I'll offer suggestions on streamlining it. I can't explain it as a process. It's something I just do.

BCM: If you had to describe your mentee's story in three words, what would they be?

Zoe: Singaporean sapphic romance

BCM: Will you be entering a story into the 2022 Wattys? If so, what motivated you to write the story?

Zoe: Most likely. Drumbeats into My Heart  was a story I wrote offline years ago that honestly wasn't my best work. It was more of a love letter to music that I enjoyed as well as to the hobby I was learning at the time. One beta reader said, "I couldn't get into the story and didn't really feel the romance between the two characters." Being a new writer at the time who was still trying to grow thicker skin, the critique made me trunk the thing and not look back. I decided to dredge it up this year because it was a complete story and I was suffering blocks in my unfinished works. I needed a win (which means finishing a story). The original was written in third person past tense, so I rewrote it as first person present tense, fixed a lot of the issues, and I'm liking it so much better now! I've gotten some positive responses so far. A sensitivity reader has pointed out a few things I need to fix regarding a dyslexic character, but overall I think it's a vast improvement!

BCM: Share two Wattpad story recommendations.

Zoe: If you're curious about asexuality or questioning, I highly recommend Mask of Celibacy by Carolyn_Hill It opened my eyes in a big way. Minion by ccstarfieldarfield is an entertaining, unique, and well-written story about a career henchman in a world of villains and superheroes. I haven't finished it yet, but am hoping to soon!

Thank you, Zoe. We wish you all the best in your writing endeavors.

Next up . . . more!

 more!