Caroline A. Richardson

The Bootcamp Mentors are proud to present a spotlight interview with MustangSabby. Check out this writer's work and give them a shout out in the comments.

BCM: What motivated you to become a Bootcamp Mentor and what have you found most valuable about this Wattpad community program?

Caroline: My writing world aligned this year, and I had some time between finishing a book and starting the next one. I needed a creative break, but I wanted to keep my momentum in the writing headspace. I also wanted to engage in the community a bit more - I find I withdraw when I am in writing mode, it can be all consuming!

The opportunity came up to be a mentor and I decided to do it. It would also help me hone some of my editing skills, and I enjoy giving back to a community I gain so much from! I love teaching and imparting my experience, and this felt like a perfect fit!

The value from the BCM community is that sense that everyone is welcome. Beginners, seasoned writers, unpublished to veteran authors. We are all here because we write, we create, and we love telling stories. If we can work together and improve our writing, level up a book, and collaborate to hone our craft? What better program is there than that?

BCM: What prompted you to start writing on Wattpad and what is one thing you find valuable about the platform?

Caroline: I was prompted because I wanted to share my writing, but had no idea how. Someone showed me the site, and it went from there. Once my first book was up and on the platform, I kept going because I enjoyed the experience, seeing the comments, being able to engage with readers and other writers alike. It was encouraging, motivating, and gave me a sense that I was doing this whacko writing thing for a reason. That is the value. That interaction erases barriers between reader and writer, giving us a chance to reach out with our stories in a unique and inclusive way.

BCM: Tell us one thing about your writing process that you've incorporated into your mentoring.

Caroline: Method. I approached my mentees book using the process that was taught to me when I was editing my own book for publishing. I wanted to be thorough, professional, and also provide constructive feedback. I used the metrics Wattpad is now using for their own content opportunities to evaluate and provide suggestions. I use those metrics on my own writing as well, and it has helped immensely in being effective to find those weak spots and strengthen them for the online audience!

BCM: What is the username of your 2023 mentee and the title of their story? If you had to describe your mentee's story in three words, what would they be?

Caroline: MollyMcBrideLasco - Running Back 

Three words: Friday Night Lights... or Let her play... or Do the unexpected

BCM: Will you be entering a story into the 2023 Wattys? If so, what motivated you to write the story? If not, can you share what you're working on?

Caroline: Yes! I have entered In Over His Head - This is the follow-up to my 2019 Watty winner Out of His League, and the motivation was that I wanted to give Sharla, a secondary character in that book, her own happy ever after!

I am also entering Western Flame, book 3 of the West Brothers Series - because it is eligible and I am really proud of that book! 

Right now I am working on a second chance office romance that I'm completing offline before I decide where to share it best. I also have book three in the Out of His League world outlined, this time with Sharla's brother Benji, and it will be set in Algonquin Park in Canada. I also have another outline I'm working on for another book in the West Brothers series.

BCM: Share two Wattpad story recommendations.

SabrinaBlackburry's  Dirty Lying Series 

masonfitzzy's Vampires, Eh? 

Thank you, MustangSabby. We wish you all the best in your writing endeavors.

More BCM spotlight interviews are on the way!