ItsTheQuietGirls

The Bootcamp Mentors are proud to present a spotlight interview with ItsTheQuietGirls author of Baby It's Covid Outside. Check out this writer's works and give them a shout out in the comments. 

BCM: How did you discover the Bootcamp Mentors and what have you found most valuable about this Wattpad community program?

ItsTheQuietGirls: I discovered Bootcamp Mentors last year, right before the Watty's deadline, and I remember thinking what an amazing idea it was. I was going through a real crisis of confidence with my writing and ended up not entering that year because I was so afraid my writing was terrible and didn't even know where to begin the editing process.

I suppose that leads neatly to what I have found most valuable! The support. I had no idea where to start, and my mentor, Eliza Solares, confidently guided me through the editing process. I feel like I've learned so much, not only about editing, but about telling a story in general!

BCM: What prompted you to start writing on Wattpad and what do you like most about the platform as a writer?

ItsTheQuietGirls: I have always been a huge fan of reading and writing, so when I discovered Wattpad, I was so excited to be somewhere that combined both passions for me. Initially, I felt too nervous to share anything, but after a few years I decided to go for it, and haven't looked back. The support people on Wattpad provide is incredible for keeping me going when I wanted to give up.

It is crazy to think that before Wattpad I had never actually finished writing a story! For me, Wattpad was about finding my people, and I'm so grateful to be a part of this online community.

BCM: What motivated you to write the story you're submitting to the 2023 Wattys?

ItsTheQuietGirls: Baby It's Covid Outside was written in 2021, as we were coming out of the other side of a pandemic that really changed the world as we know it.

I've always been the type who wants to find the good, even in the most horrible times, and this was no different. I wanted to write something where happiness and love could come from even the most awful and challenging circumstances.

In my head, people were still falling in love around the world and I needed to write something that would tell their story. So I squished all those feelings in with a huge love of Christmas, and Susie and Henry's story was born!

BCM:. If you had to describe your story in three words, what would they be?

ItsTheQuietGirls: Heartwarming, festive, romantic

BCM: Tell us one thing about your writing process that has helped you the most.

ItsTheQuietGirls: I stopped trying to plan! Everything I saw and read told me I needed a detailed plan to write a story. This was the first time I didn't try to plan and just let myself "go with the flow".

I've discovered I'm more of a 'plantser'. I go into it with no plan and about halfway through I get a rough idea of what the end point will be. Usually I work out a couple of things I need to happen on the way to get there, but that's as much planning as I need. I think everyone is different, and it's important to remember that what works for one person might not necessarily work for you.

BCM: Share two Wattpad story recommendations.

ItsTheQuietGirls: Under Chateau Lights by authorelizasolares. The perfect sweet, festive romance with a love triangle that had me screaming at the screen! Incredible characters and twists I didn't see coming. (And I'm not just saying that because she's my mentor!)

The Good-For-Nothing Society by ErinTink. A young adult spy story that keeps you on the edge of your seat. With romance, drama, and mystery, it's easy to see why it made the Watty's 2022 shortlist!

Thank you, ItsTheQuietGirls. We wish you all the best in your writing endeavors.

More BCM spotlight interviews are on the way!