David Hull

The Bootcamp Mentors are proud to present a spotlight interview with david_hull  Check out this writer's works and give them a shout out in the comments. 

BCM: What motivated you to become a Bootcamp Mentor and what have you found most valuable about the program?

David: I was fortunate enough to win my Watty (on my second try) without a mentor. But I remember feeling isolated and frustrated for much of my writing process. What went wrong on my first try? Why aren't more people reading it? Is my writing giving away too much? Too little? Do I need to add werewolves? Etc... Writing can be a very lonely process and once I found Bootcamp Mentors, I was thrilled to offer my help and support.

BCM: What prompted you to start writing on Wattpad and what do you like most about the platform?

David: My 20th century brain had no idea anything like Wattpad existed. But after my first novel's first draft was complete, I read about it online and fell in love. It is such a wonderful resource for connecting with readers and fellow authors. I credit the maturation of my books, in part, to the generous feedback I've received.

BCM: Tell us one thing about your writing process that you've incorporated into your mentoring.

David: There's more than one way to skin a potato so I try not to impose my process on my mentee unless they specifically ask for it. If they are comfortable with a particular method, I try to adapt within its confines. One tenet I will try to encourage, however, is Hemingway's "the only kind of writing is rewriting." Always look to improve.

BCM: If you had to describe your mentee's story in three words, what would they be?

David: Beautiful. Brutal. Breathtaking. (Apologies for the alliteration).

BCM: Will you be entering a story into the 2022 Wattys? If so, what motivated you to write the story?

David: I will, now that sequels are being considered. I'll be entering Drifting Along The Infinite Spring, the sequel to For Those Who Don't Believe In Love Songs.

BCM: Share two Wattpad story recommendations.

David: The Hijinks War by call_me_clover and Midnight Ghosts by words_for_food 

Thank you, David. We wish you all the best in your writing endeavors.

We've got more interviews coming 'round the bed.