Chapter Seventy-One

"I-I'm so sorry," the woman felt herself begin to grovel as she looked to see the snow of his skin tainted by her affliction, "It...it must have come early. I thought I planned it perfectly so that I wouldn't get it while I was here. I-I'm so ashamed. I'm so ashamed."

          "No, no, please. Don't be ashamed. This happens. It was bound to happen," Chan reached forward to embrace her but she pulled away much too embarrassed to be touched.

          Her mind began to spin with memories of screaming and yelling. The voices including everyone from her parents to her exes. Tears fell forward as she looked to the beautiful sheets that were ruined, "I'll clean everything up. Y-You go take a shower. I'll clean everything. I'm so sorry. I'll pay to have everything replac—"

          "Hey, hey, hey. Look at me."

          Naty's eyes finally lifted to meet Chris.

          "This is okay. I don't care about any of this. I care about you. This might be embarrassing, okay, but please don't take this out on yourself. I'm not grossed out or mad or anything. I just want to take care of you. I just want to make sure you are okay. So...come on. Let's get you all cleaned up," the man reached his hand out toward her.

          Once again, she pulled away, "Just...just take a shower. You take a shower and I'll take a shower. Then I'll clean this up. Just please stop looking at everything. Just stop looking at me."

          "Naty..."

          "Please?" she felt herself on the verge of breaking down.

          Chan let out a deep sigh before standing up and walking quickly to the nearest bathroom.

          Once he was out of sight, Naty dropped her face into her hands to let out the cry she choked on. She felt nauseous, sick, dizzy and all she wanted to do was crawl into a hole to die. But she could not do that. The closest she could get to that was running to the shower in the next room and hiding until Chan eventually forgot about her and moved on to date someone else. She doubted he would do such a thing but still...she wanted to vanish from the face of the Earth or melt into the mattres—

          The mattress!

          Naty jumped from the bed and wrapped the ruined linen around herself. Her eyes pulled the sheets off the bed with more strength than she knew she had. In her mind she was transported back to the first time she had gotten her period and the punishment she received for ruining the only mattress her family had. Her body shook at the memory while she scanned the naked bed for evidence that her shame had leaked into the material. Thankfully, nothing was there.

          The woman let out a sigh of relief. The mattress being clean crossed one concern off the list. The next was cleaning herself, cleaning the sheets, and dealing with the pain radiating throughout her stomach. At least the most important of her concerns was okay. The woman opened her mouth to let out another sigh that suddenly turned into a gasp as Bang Chan emerged from the bathroom, this time in basketball shorts.

          "You need to clean this off of y—"

         "Natalia Higuera."

         Naty froze at the sound of her full name leaving his lips. Normally, she would be afraid to hear her government name uttered but the tone he used was kindness. The tone he used was loving, compassionate, and all around sweet.

          "I have a mother. I have a sister. I have cousins. I have friends. You are not the first person to ever get their..." he motioned toward the bed as if stalling to find an appropriate word, "...menstrual cycle in my life. I expected this would happen and I bought some stuff before you came just in case. I'm not disgusted, I'm not afraid, I'm not disturbed by this. The only thing I am is worried about you. I don't know who has hurt you enough to make you feel so...guilty for an accident but you don't have to feel that way with me. Now...come on. I got the shower ready for you and I have the scents going that you like. Let's take a shower."