Chapter. 12 Underestimated

Micah's POV

Mr. Williams asked me to take a seat and to me it felt like he gave me a death sentence. The only free seats were all the way in the back of the classroom. I just started walking with my eyes fixed at the floor like the floor was the most beautiful thing i ever seen. When i passed Knightly and Connor i could feel their eyes on me. In the back of my mind i was really hoping that they would recognize me. It would make things so much easier, but i knew that it was just wishful thinking on my part.

When i suddenly heard someone call me " Hey Lockwood" i was disappointed that it wasn't Knightly or Connor. It was Jeremy Winters. We were in the same class six years ago when i decided to move to Japan. During our conversation i could feel the animosity coming from the other students. I could understand why. Jeremy Winters is a good looking guy and is friendly to everyone. He's probably one of the most popular guys in the school.

They were surely thinking why he's talking to a geek like me. Mr. Williams started the class and i had to take a seat. Suddenly i felt a headache coming on and my body felt heavy. My mother gave me a few vitamin pills this morning to help me keep my body energized. I wanted to take the medicine before i could embarrass myself. 

I opened my bag and took out the pills only then to realize that i didn't bring any water. I remembered seeing a vending machine on my way to class and started frantically looking for money because i was getting drowsy." Here" i heard  someone  say in a deep voice. When i looked up i saw Knightly sitting next to me.

I looked at the water and what i really wanted to ask him was how he knew what i needed, but i stayed quiet. I hesitated first but then took the water and took my pills. Feeling relieved before i realized what i was doing i said "Thank you Knightly. It felt like i was dying there". Knightly looked shocked when he heard me say his name. I was afraid of what he might think of me, but to my surprise he just smiled at me. That was all i needed to realize that he recognized me. 

Connor came to us when the class was over. I greeted him and we talked a little bit like we have always been friends. It felt nice to make friends because i have always been a loner due to my traveling a lot.

It's lunch time now and i'm sitting alone at a table in the cafeteria with only an apple and two juice boxes on my food tray. Because of my training i have to watch what i eat. I'm going through the sports magazine that my uncle gave me to look through, because it has an article about me. Everybody is avoiding me like the plague so i know it's safe to relax. I hate having pointless conversations. I'm here for only one year so it doesn't really bother me that there avoiding me.

I was concentrating on the list of gymnasts in my age category that would be participating this year in competitions when i heard someone pull a chair next to me. I gazed lazily at the person sitting next to me only to be met with a beaming Knightly. "Ugh" i uttered and then added "He's shining so bright". There was suddenly loud laughter coming from the table.

I looked startled around the table. Connor was sitting on the other side of the table and Jeremy was sitting on my left side. There were other people at the table that i didn't recognize. They were all laughing even Knightly. Then the realisation hit me that i said that out loud. I hit my forehead with my hand and frowned at Knightly because he was the cause of it all. But Knightly just smiled and winked at me while saying "Thanks doll". The whole table broke out in laughter again. My only response to that was "Ugh".

"How are you feeling now" asked Knightly when the laughter had died down. "A little bit better. Thanks for asking" i replied and returned to my magazine. "You're not going to get better by only eating that you know" said Jeremy while pointing at my food tray. I just smiled at him. "Leave him alone Jeremy. He knows what's good for him" said the guy sitting on the other side of him." I'm Nathan by the way. I don't know if you recognize me but i have seen you a few times when i came to get Jeremy from class"

"I'm sorry Nathan. I don't really remember anyone from middle school except Knightly, Connor and Jeremy, but i like to get to know you" i said to Nathan and meant it too. Nathan nodded at me and then went back to eating. "What are you reading?" asked Connor me suddenly and i replied to him with "I'm just checking out the competition". "Really?" asked Connor me and then continued with "When is your next competition then, we can maybe come to support you". You could hear a pin drop by his statement. They were all probably asking themselves what we were talking about and why they were bothering with me.

"It's next month in Florida and thank you but you don't have to come. I can manage. I have been doing that for ten years and you know that i always go for gold" i said while grinning at him. He just laughed at my boldness and said "That i know my friend, that i know" while shaking his head. " But we still could come to Florida if you wanted. We have our own private jet" said Knightly while looking hopeful at me. "No, it's alright" i said back to him. He nodded but looked disappointed.

I suddenly realized that i still haven't asked them about Lilith. "Hey guys how is my number one little girl Lilith doing these days". All the people at the table directed their eyes at me when they heard me ask that. They were all frowning at me and the beautiful girl sitting at the end of the table looked angry. The only two people that were smiling at me were Knightly and Connor.

I was so thankful when i heard my father call me because i couldn't take the hostility anymore. "Micah" he yelled and we all looked up to him. I stood up and walked up to him. "Yeah dad?" "Are you ok now?" he asked. "Yes, i feel a lot better now. I took the medicine mom gave me and dad you didn't have to check on me. I can take care of myself" i said while looking back at the table. I frowned when i saw the beautiful girl sitting in my seat next to Knightly.

"Micah, i'm your father and i always worry about you. You may not realize it but it's the truth. I have talked to your uncle and he agreed that you should start your training tomorrow" I clenched my fist at that. Training is my life and my body aches to exercise and to run freely. Seeing my reaction my father took my clenched hand opened it and said "You can train at home when you're feeling much better ok and can you pick up Noah for me?". I couldn't say anything so i just nodded my head.

I walked with my head down back to the table. The beautiful girl was still sitting in my seat. She had her left hand on Knightly's right hand. They were looking at each other and talking casually. When Knightly looked up to look at me the girl realized that i was standing behind her. She turned around and said "I'm sorry for taking your seat. I'll get up now"." No, it's ok" i replied to her and then continued with "Take your time. I'm leaving now. Lunch time is almost over anyway. Just let me take my things". I took my things and walked away without giving anyone a second glance. I could feel the anger boiling in me because i couldn't train or was it something else.

The rest of the day passed quickly and before i knew the school was over. I didn't pay anyone attention when i walked to the middle school. I was hoping that Noah didn't create any problems for me because my dad always picked him up. I was deep in thoughts of how i could convince my father to let me join todays training when i was suddenly tackled to the ground. Luckily i didn't feel anything and when i looked down i saw two kids clinging onto me.

Thanks for reading guys. The romance will start in the next chapter so keep reading.