(#83) Petition

"My Lady, what do you think of this dress?" Belle asked.

"Good." I approved.

"Sit in front of the mirror. Let me do your hair, Ana." Belle said.

"Goodness, if it wasn't such an important meeting, I wouldn't be bothered in all of these," I said.

"I know, I know dear. Now have some patience, and let me do my job." Belle said and did my hair.

"Now, done right? I am hungry." I said.

"Yeah, yeah," Belle said.

I went down the stairs.

Father was already waiting.

"All set?" Father said.

"Yes," I said, hugging him.

"Then we shall have breakfast and set off," Father said and I nodded.

"We have reached, Lord and Lady Aesther." Said the Coach-man.

"Father." I looked over at Father.

He seemed to be in his own world.

"Father!" I called him again, keeping my hands on his shoulder, to which he reacted by a sudden shiver.

"What?" Father asked.

"Nothing. We have reached." I said.

"Oh," Father said and started getting off.

"You don't need to get nervous, Father," I said.

"How can I not?" Father asked.

"To get this petition passed, we need to get more than 50% of the support of the Assembly. 50% we can get by the Imperialists. But we need at least the support of one Aristocrat." Father said.

"Relax, Father. I have got it all sorted.

"I hope so," Father said and we got in.

Just before we got in, James came to me and whispered in my ears.

"My Lady, it is just as we suspected," Jason said and I nodded.

We then got inside the Assembly Hall.

Soon everyone started to fill in, and the meeting began.

"Alright, since everyone has gathered, we shall now commence this Assembly Meeting. Minister Stelvort." His Highness called and Minister Stelvort stood up.

"Yes, Your Highness." He said and turned to address the audience.

"TODAY, ON THIS PROSPEROUS DAY, THE ASSEMBLY HAS JOINED TO DISCUSS ON THE PETITION DRAWN BY HOUSE AESTHER." Minister Stelvort said, bowed, and sat down.

"What a waste of a prosperous day!" Count Barrel muttered in a way that everyone can hear.

Well, when a dog bites, you can't bite it back, can you?

But why was Count Barrel emitting a happy vibe though?

"Alright. I shall tell briefly about the drawn petition. It is about the right of being the heir be practiced for the woman as well." The King said.

"Nonsense." Count Barrel said.

"Well, you can keep that to yourself," I said.

"Why do women need this much power?" Count Barrel said.

"I believe it's their right," I said.

"Which they don't deserve." He said.

"And what gives you the right to say that?" I asked.

"See, your Father gave you some freedom and you started being all arrogant." Count Barrel said.

"You are not too bad yourself," I said.

"You-" He didn't have anything to say.

"I say, we put it to vote." King Adelouis said.

As expected, all the Imperialists voted for the petition.

At that moment, the Empress came in.

My trump card. Here it comes.

"Greetings Your Highness, King Adelouis," Empress said and bowed.

"What is the matter, Empress?" King Adelouis asked.

"I heard an interesting petition would get discussed in the Assembly today. I just came to hear it for myself." Empress said.

"Please do. And tell me your opinion too. Since you are the member of your family with the highest status, your words are equal to that of the House Master's." King Adelouis said.

"I have heard about the petition. I mean, after all, I am a woman too. I would have dreams as well. 

But looking at the bigger picture, I feel it is safe that men be given powers, only." Empress said.

I sighed.

I looked over at Belle.

She nodded and handed a basket over to me.

I stood up and went to the Empress.

"Your Highness Empress, I had actually been thinking of giving this to you for a long time. Or rather, to your personal attendant." I said and the Empress was confused.

"I heard that her daughter was pregnant," I said, and the Empress's face turned for a worse.

"Your Highness," Empress started to panic.

"I think that Lady Aesther's words actually contain a lot of sense. I shall go along with her." Empress said.

"Alright." King Adelouis said with a smile.

"Since the Barrel family supports the petition too, then we regard this matter as a success." King Adelouis said and got up.

"But your Highness-" Count Barrel started.

"The Empress has stated, Count Barrel. Do you assume yourself above her?" I asked and he remained quiet.

On our way back,

"How did you know about the case of the Personal Attendant's daughter?" Belle asked.

"Some things make a lot of sense when you sit down and think rationally," I said.

"Like?" Belle asked.

"The poisoning case of His Highness," I said.

"You know who the one behind it is?" Belle asked.

"That day when I met Velena, I saw the emotion on her face. A different one. But it was only these days that I finally placed it.

It was Guilt.

Deep Guilt."

----------------------------------------

Special Note For Readers

Sorry for not updating for so long. My exams are over. Now the only nightmare left is the Open House 😬😬

So, yeah, the updates will be more regular.

Don't forget to vote, comment, and follow. 

Je Vous Aimez💕💕

Last updated on 15/03/2021