(#44) A New Ally

"Miss Auburn, are you ready?" Sir Hefler, who is also a teacher along with Sir Cross, called me.

"Yes, Sir," I answered.

"Alright. You shall fight with... Sir Cross. And based on your skills and et cetera, it will be decided whether you pass to the second stage or not." Sir Hefler said.

I nodded. "Yes, Sir," I said.

"Ail, young lad! Come to the eastern arena, we will fight there." Sir Hefler took Grizil, Grizil Ail, towards the Eastern arena, and I followed Sir Cross to the Western Arena.

"Are you ready, Miss Auburn?" Sir Cross asked.

"Yes, Sir Cross," I said, bowing.

"Alright then, will you start?" Sir Cross asked.

"Please do start, Sir Cross," I said.

"Alright. One thing you have to keep in mind is that presently, you have to think that we both met during the war and you will do, what you should." Sir Cross said.

I smiled. This is going to be interesting.

"Yes, Sir," I said.

Sir Cross started swinging his sword. I just simply dodged them.

"Miss Auburn, what are you doing?" Sir Cross asked, not stopping.

"I am a little confused, Sir," I said.

"Well, this is war-time, you have confusion, and you die." Sir Cross said.

Ouch, that hurt.

I nodded and continued blocking the attacks.

"What are you doing, Miss Auburn?" Sir Cross asked, finally stopping.

"I told you, I am having a confusion," I said.

"What is it?" Sir Cross asked, patience draining.

"You said met during the war. Isn't it possible that we are on the same side? Since there is a possibility like that, how can I act rashly and injure one of my brothers?" I asked, trying to hide a smile.

He then slapped his hands onto his forehead and kept his head low.

Shit, did I go too far?

He then showed his face, which was trying to hide its laughter.

"S-Sir?" I was shocked.

"It has been quite some time since I have heard that." Sir Cross said.

"Some time? Someone told it to you before?" I asked Sir Cross.

"Yes. But I don't think that you will believe it is that person if you know who it is." Sir Cross said.

"No. My question is, you have already made this mistake, yet you don't learn?" I asked.

"I missed it. That is what. I wanted to know if anyone else will change it. And you became the second one." He said.

"Oh," I said.

"He was a very good friend of mine." Sir Cross said and I nodded.

"Then, shall we start again? We met on the battlefield and are from different countries. Are you happy now?" Sir Cross asked.

I nodded, smiling.

We started fighting again.

"Do you mind if we have a conversation?" I asked.

"Fine by me." Sir Cross said.

"Alright then. Let me ask you a question. What is your view of the marriage between Lady Aesther and Second Prince Louis?" I asked.