The World Strikes on Gala Night

"Sofie, how come you never follow your own dress code?" I put on Oscar's black necktie.

"Because a queen follows her own rules." I grin. "Oscar, I love this. You have to get it." I gush over the suit.

It's this texturized black suit. But there are these gold branches that creep up the back, over the shoulder and down the left arm.

"Why do I have to go? I hate the damn gala every year." He complains. He thinks it's depressing. I think it's inspiring.

I pout at him, "you're my good luck charm."

"Which is why I can't keep a girlfriend." He mutters.

"How is that my fault!" I exclaim. He's the one who speaks his mind and doesn't know how to not insult someone.

"Uh, every time I meet a girl. She thinks she's a booty call because they think I'm with you."

"Oh, you wish...Or maybe you rush to sleep with someone." I roll my eyes.

"Or maybe I'm tending to you hand and foot. Sofie, you know I'm gorgeous. You'd be lucky to find a man like me."

I laugh, "because you have no friends and you are avoiding your momma, who's been trying to visit you for the past three months. And once again, I don't need someone to put my attention on a personal level. Which is why you are my best friend. And I'm sorry I can never see you in that light knowing your habits..." I look him up and down in a disgusting way.

Oscar wraps an arm around my side, pulling me closer to him. He turns us around to look in the mirror.

I am currently wearing this gorgeous high-low, off-the-shoulder phthalo green gown.

I contemplated this and a beige dress. I loved the other one, but this one suits me so much more.

I take the focus off myself and glance at Oscar, who is staring at me.

I look up at him, and his hand falls under my chin.

I grin, "Oscar. I think this is the dress." I whisper.

He matches it. "Oh wow, for the first time, you are whispering and telling the truth."

I chuckle, and it's cut short when this old woman who's mistaken us as a couple thinks we are preparing for prom and thinks we look great.

As I go to correct her, Oscar covers my mouth. And I don't even hear what he says as I realize this man has his left hand on my lips.

When the woman walks away, and he lets go. I start gagging and pacing everywhere.

"Saffron, stop it. You will throw up."

That little switch turns on. And I am livid. "I can't believe you just did that. I'm going to kill you-"

He immediately gets a wet wipe and hands it to me.

"Now I have to wipe off my makeup." I frown.

"I'm the one who did your makeup."

I take a breath to calm down. "Unzip me please. I'll let it go." He does so. I head back into my dressing room.

I begin laughing hysterically.

"Sofie, what's so funny?" Oscar asks from the room next to mine.

I laugh harder. "You are such an idiot."

"I'm your best friend that says something about you too."

I lightly shake my head. "Sir, it's time I tell you the truth. I only keep you around because you make amazing chocolate milk."