Getting Organized

Getting Organized

It took two and a half weeks. Some of these kids needed around the clock attention.

And it's a fact that Niel and I can't move forward with our plans until they are all in health.

They all love it here. But we need to start somehow, so that this free behaviour isn't a habit.

I grather my four leaders into my office.

"Can any of you read?" I ask and the two ladies raise their hands.

"How well?"

They shrug.

I get four books.

One is a childrens book. Chester. The next is a Geronimo Stilton chapter book. The next is the The Hunger Games and finally a college level anthropology textbook.

I ask them to read a passage from each one together.

I conclude that Adela is my best reader.

"Adela can you please-"

"No." Ivan says.

"Ivan I didn't even say your name."

"You didn't have to. She will not teach me to read. Anyone but her!"

I shake my head. "Can I please know what's the issue between all of you?"

No one speaks.

"Can I go help professor?" Asher asks.

I've noticed whenever the four are together he's quiet and is always the first to ask to leave.

"Go." I let him leave.

"Can any of you write?"

Once again the girls have the skills.

I dismiss them and I decided to work with Ivan. I give him one of my gloves. I pull out a screen of the alphabet and I go through them with him.

He's pretty good with repetition and learns the alphabet in a good amount of time. I teach him the sounds they make. And how to spell his name.

Even when I told him we should stop for today he wanted to keep going.

So I got out some simple sentences.

A red ball.

The sky is blue.

I like food.

Ivan takes a while to sound out each syllable but he does get it and I truly feel joy to know he's proud of himself.

There's a knock of my door. "I've been trying to reach you for like an hour." It's Niel.

"I've been here with Ivan." I tell him.

"Ivan please go eat with the others. Asher saved your seat."

"Thank you professor." He runs out.

"Saffron I love what you're doing but we need better communication. And I really need that message."