Italy squad

Months ago

"HEY!"

I open my eyes and look up. It's our mothers.

"Hi." I croak out.

Oscar who stayed the night throws a pillow at me from his position on the floor.

"Did you two forget you were taking us out for Mother's Day?"

Oscar's mom loses her shit for a second, "y-you- she- OSCAR!"

He scrambles off the floor.

"Hm?" I know he's still half asleep. We had a long night talking a ton.

"She's wearing the locket?"

"Oh." I yawn. Yeah Oscar gave it to me as a gift yesterday. He must've put it on me when I was asleep. It's good luck. And I am definitely feeling lucky. I didn't wake up in the night once.

"Where did it come from?"

"Nonnia." He sighs.

"Does your father know?"

"Why?" Oscar finally wakes up.

"That's what makes you get up really?" I roll my eyes.

"Someone wanna fill me in?" Caroline asks.

"That locket runs in the Mecrucio family. It is only given to people of value within the family. Most commonly wives!"

They bicker. Oscar dips to the bathroom. I am under the harsh gaze of these women.

"Okay I expect a reaction out of you mom but Mrs M?"

Before she can reply Oscar walks out.

I think about it.

I ask him to check the reservation with my mom. They quickly step out of the room.

"I was going to ask you why you belittle Oscar for everything in his life. Used to think it was a generational thing. But it's a me thing. So do you just not like me? What is it? Because it's me who you are belittling. You only say it to Oscar so it's not direct."

"You need to give that back and leave him alone."

"I'm not giving back a gift."

"You don't know what it means-"

I stand and speak feeling ticked off it's too early for this. "Un vero amico è colui che viene da te quando il resto del mondo se ne va. (A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out.) Un amico è uno che ti conosce e ti ama lo stesso. (A friend is one who knows you and loves you just the same.) Il più grande dono della vita è l'amicizia, e io l'ho ricevuto. (The greatest gift of life is friendship, and I have received it.) that's what it means. That's how he feels about our relationship. And I cannot believe you of all people-"

I know.

"You are mad because of my income? I make more than Oscar? Oscar literally won't let me pay him more. If he asks for an extra something. It's out of my pocket. It's because I don't fit into your ideal relationship? Oscar worked hard to be where he is-"

"That you are wrong. You paid his tuition. Then donated to his school which gave him a scholarship. You gave him the down payment for the villa! You file his taxes! You take him places you buy him clothes cars everything except his condo!"

"Do you want me to fire him?"

"What difference would that make you won't change a thing?"

"If he knew he'd probably side with you. Why not tell him."