Goodbye

Goodbye

They walk in.

I squirm up to a seated position and wipe my eyes.

They take the time to look at each other but by the time they look back at me, I'm in my room.

A minute later. Niel walks in.

I walk out and lock him in.

"Saffron, let me out!"

I ignore him and sit in front of my boyfriend.

"Why do you do that when it will bother you?" I ask him.

"You talking about him?"

"I know he's your brother, and you trust him. I don't know if I'm playing too much into this but do you even care that I'm upset right now? Every time I am upset you push him to me."

"Of course, I care. That's why I gave you the better support-"

"You are supposed to be my support!"

"You are not mad at me. You are upset with something else. Just talk to me."

"No," I whisper.

"Then why-"

I walk back to the door. I let Niel out and I wrap my arms around him, sobbing into his chest.

Niel has comfort instincts. So he hugs me back.

And for a moment, it's like Cedric's not here.

Niel speaks in a soft calm voice. "Saffron? What happened?"

I shake my head and he walks us back. Back to the place I was under my skylight.

He tilts my head back. I look up to where he's pointing. "You are like the moon. Alone. Full of imperfections. But still trying to shine with a smile."

There's a crescent moon tonight.

"When life gets overwhelming just look up at the night sky and lose yourself."

I look at Niel. He wipes my eyes, "Sofie smile. Sometimes a smile is the first step in feeling better." He grins, and it's contagious. I can't help but copy it.

"There you go. Now I'm assuming, things were just a lot lately?"

I nod.

We've ignored him for this long yet the moment I noticed that there's a crescent moon. Cedric stands practically between us.

I know he's pissed.

So I stand facing him, Niel faces my back.

Cedric stares at him when he should be staring at me.

I speak. "I said I felt better around you. I chose you but it never feels like you choose me. Whenever you are upset, I'm there. I encourage you to talk things out. Whenever I'm upset, you send him to me. Yet when he makes me feel better, you get jealous and it makes no sense."

Niel silently makes his way out.

"I'm scared," Cedric admits. "I'm scared that I wouldn't know how to do whatever he just did. I don't know when I can goof around to lift your spirits or if you just want me to sit with you."

I sigh and wrap my arms around him. "This is our problem. You don't speak unless I push you to."

"When you were choosing. You had pros and cons-"

"No." I cut him off.

"Bay, I want to know." He pulls away from me.

I don't look at him. "Fun doesn't last forever."