Back on Track

Back on Track

Rapid-fire.

"What happens when magnesium is put in hydrochloric acid?"

I respond immediately. "Dissolves."

"What's the E R conjugation song I taught you when you were 4."

I smile and begin singing French letters to the tune on old McDonald.

"e, e-s, e, o-n-s, e-z, e-n-t." I begin laughing.

So does Henry.

Soon the blindfold is ripped off my face.

"Okay enough. Phys-"

I frown at Ryder. "But I didn't get my last question."

"You don't need your l-"

Henry touches a piece of my hair, "who are you?"

"Je suis le petit ange de papa." I grin.

Ryder has been sick and tired of me, and it's only been three days. I am having the time of my life getting on his last nerve.

He gives me headphones and a cassette player. I put it on and bob my head.

Nothing is playing. I'm listening to them talk.

"You don't find this suspicious? She goes missing for almost two weeks and one day magically ends up in your room covered in bruises and behaves with no video evidence of anyone moving the slightest? Those boys are gone. Kenzo hasn't seen them. Did that kid taze you into stupidity-"

"Don't talk to him like that." He barely noticed that I took the headset off and protectively stood before Henry.

Ryder forcibly grabs my face, only to be sucker-punched by his younger brother.

"Try and touch her again."

"Henry, look at her! There is no way she switched that fast!"

"Fast? It's been nearly 20 years! She is obedient. She doesn't fight. She doesn't cry. She hasn't even tried to run. She performed the rapid-fire test with numbers off her charts. Maybe you are jealous that she's my daughter!"

These men fight like teenage boys.

"You and I both know she should've been mine-"

I let my character slip, but I don't care right now, "what are you talking about?"

"Caroline was engaged to me first!" Ryder announces.

"And she found you in bed with my girlfriend and it's your own fault-"

"My fault? You sent her into my room drunk, and she couldn't tell the difference."

"I did not send her to your room on purpose. I told her to go upstairs and wait for me. And yet you still slept with her while I comforted Caroline downstairs."

It gets real quiet.

I sit on the floor in front of Ryder. I grab his hands. I know Henry is watching me closely. I speak softly, holding his contact. "You made a mistake. But you still have her in your life. To her, you both are putting all your attention on me. I am just your child and your niece. You can still win her back. Marriage and friendship-wise. I know she l-loves you both deeply. It's not over."

Henry takes and seat, and we all just breathe.

For once, they are showing some humane sides to them.

"Alright. We'll deal with Caroline in due time. What do you want to do?"

This is my only chance. I've studied the maps Cedric and Milan made, but I have to see the real thing.