Elenor's Cry

Elenor's Cry

"Baylor- I mean Steelor Co?"

"Bay favour?"

I sigh, "Cedric I'm not getting you a massage computer chair."

"No I mean can I bring Elle to work?"

"Why?"

"She wants to see you and you have been a touchy subject in the house."

"Doesn't your brother leave today?"

"Haven't you two spoken?"

"No... he won't answer my calls or texts. I guess he's still upset about what happened. So I've kept my distance."

"But you got Casey a birthday gift?"

"Casey has grown on me and he's always wanted to take up real estate. A drone takes great footage. It's not a big deal."

"Okay but back to my favour?"

"Yeah you can bring her over but if her parents flip that's all on you."

"Alright."

Two seconds later I hear steps into my office.

"Saffron!"

I snap my head up so fast.

Elle just called me by my name.

That's never happened before...

"Hm I'm not Goldie anymore?" I ask.

Her eyes meet mine. "Your name is Saffron. I should call you by your name."

Something is wrong.

"Where's your uncle?"

"Office."

I page him.

He walks in and I speak a bit away from her. 

"What happened to her?"

He shrugs. "I did what you said. I got home last night and when I walked in she was staring at the darkness blankly. She started crying when I wished her a goodnight. Ji put a baby monitor in her room and kicked me out. There was quiet scolding but I didn't really catch onto the words. She got up this morning and went to school without anyone noticing. I went to her room assuming she slept in and I started freaking out. Her parents assumed she was being stubborn. But no. We got a call from the school wondering why everyone wasn't there but Elle took the bus to make it to class. She wanted to say goodbye to Niel. I went to pick her up and she's been like this. She addressed you as Saffron. She calls everyone by their actual names. It's weird. I thought maybe you can talk to her?"

I immediately shake my head. I've interfered way too much. I'm certain Ji wouldn't appreciate it.

"She needs to go home. Now."

"Bay I can't. You and I both see her. I won't take her where she doesn't feel welcomed. So please?"

I turn back to the child across the room who stares at us intently.

"Saffron?"

I hide my frown, "yes Elenor?"

"Is my uncle a bad man?"

Cedric is about to react but I grab his hand under my desk so he gets distracted.

"No, no he is not. Where did you get that idea?"

"The teachers and students were arguing about you again."

"What did they say?" I push.

"That he cheated on you so you broke up with him and now you are either back together or not back together because you are working together. And that you are conspiring against my family to work with Grampa Kenny and a bunch of other stuff."