forty seven

Serena

I woke up in my bed confused. The last thing I remember was getting in Embrys truck and him apologizing to me, but I don't remember how I got here.

The clock on the night stand read 11:53, meaning that I've been asleep for a long time. Looking across the room, Embry wasn't there.

It didn't worry me knowing that Embry wasn't in bed because he's probably out on patrol, but it did worry me knowing that moms anger has time to brew and she has more time to think.

I closed my eyes and tried to fall back asleep, but sleep didn't come. This entire day kept replaying in my head over and over again. I feel so stupid for acting the way that I did but sometimes I feel like nobody listens to me.

I stayed up for two more hours before I started to feel even remotely tired again. I tried counting up to 12,000 but that just made me more awake. I tried relaxing my entire body but there was still nothing. Finally, I decided that a hot bath might help me out.

Once I got in the bath I was immediately relaxed to the point where I felt like I was going to fall asleep. After laying in the water for a few minutes, I did fall asleep, only for a second, but it was nice.

When I got out of the tub the water had long gone cold and the clock read 3:47, I had fallen asleep for more than just a second apparently. Getting dressed and walking back to my room, I found that the window was wide open.

The cold breeze blew on my still wet body, causing me to shiver, then I noticed the figure sitting in the desk chair. I gasped and reached for the bat next to my bed, but a hand stopped me, another going over my mouth to stop me from screaming.

"Relax, it's just me"

Paul

"Paul what the fuck! Are you serious! You almost gave me a heart attack!"

"Shhh! Your moms starting to wake up" I said quietly

"What? How do you know?" Serena asked

"I can hear her heartbeat, wolf thing. It's also how I could tell that you fell asleep in the bath for multiple hours. You could drown, you know? Do you even know how to swim?"

"No, but I'm fine. Why are you here anyways?"

"I saw that you and Embry made up, and I came to apologize, it's not my right to decide who you do and don't talk to and I'm sorry"

"Paul, I know I made up with Embry, but you really hurt my feelings, and it's going to take a long time for me to forgive you"

"Serena, please" a loud crack of thunder interrupted me, "I know I'm wrong!"

"I need to get to bed Paul, it's late and there's school in a few hours"

"Serena-" thunder rang out again and she jumped, I could feel her fear and hear it in her heartbeat, "just think on it, ok?"

"I will"

As I turned out to go through the window, she called out to me "will you stay with me please? I'm scared"

"Of course I will" I said, climbing under the covers next to her. It didn't take her long to fall asleep, "I always will"

Embry

"Alright, what the fuck is going on here?" I exclaimed when I entered my room to get ready for school. Paul and Serena were cuddled up in her bed, basically spooning, while fast asleep.

"Paul!" I yelled, startling him awake, "what the hell are you doing?!"

"Oh uh," he looked around, confused about where he was for a minute, "I came to apologize last night and then the storm hit and she asked me to stay since she's scared"

"Has the alarm gone off yet?" Serena asked

"No you've got 55 minutes" I replied

"Then shut up and go back to sleep"

Paul and I exchanged a look and I shrugged, getting into my bed and closing my eyes after watching Paul lay back down. I fell asleep rather quickly, and this power nap is definitely going to help out for patrol aging tonight.

Serena

The alarm woke me up for real this time and I groaned, peeling myself out of Paul's grip and heading for the bathroom. I'm exhausted but I need to be at school today for tryouts, then I can go home and sleep.

I brought my clothes for the day with me into the bathroom and changed, brushing my teeth and hair in the process. I decided that breakfast was not on my hit list today and instead I went back in my room and laid down for an extra 20 minutes.

My practice clothes and backpack were already packed from last night, so all I had to do was grab them and go when Embry called my name for us to leave.

"You still trying out tonight?" Embry asked

"Yes, and I plan on making the team. Does that bother you?" I replied and Paul chuckled beside me

"Yes, but do what you want to do, just don't get hurt"

"Thanks Em, I'll try not to"

As soon as we pulled into the parking lot I spotted Bailey and Birkley excitedly waving me over to them. "Go to your friends, they look like they have exciting news" Paul said

"Paul I can't get out until you move" I told him, starting at him

"Oh, yeah, just a sec" he said awkwardly. He hopped out of the car and I followed, thanking him before he got back in.

I rushed over to the girls and they were basically beaming with excitement. "You ready for tryouts?" Birkley exclaimed

"Yes! I'm so excited but I'm so nervous at the same time!" I responded

"Ok, well, you didn't hear it from us but Hailo heard from Paxton who heard from Brendan that you're basically guaranteed a spot!" Bailey exclaimed

We all cheered together begged we walked into the school. Going to the locker room to drop off our bags before going to our actual lockers. "Wait, who are Paxton and Brendan?"