fifty six

Serena

The next morning, I woke up to an empty bed and horrible stomach cramps. Reaching for my phone on the night stand, I saw a note sitting under it.

Good morning beautiful,

Unfortunately, duty calls and I have to leave. I get off rounds at twelve though, so I'll see you shortly after that. Eat breakfast please, and don't just lay in bed all day,

Your totally awesome, super handsome boyfriend.

Pauls note made me smile, however the cramps I was experiencing wiped it right off my face. I knew there was only one, maybe two answers for my problem, and my trip to the bathroom confirmed my suspicion.

"Hello?" Emily asked once she picked up her phone

"Emily! I started my period and I don't have anything!" I replied, now laying back in bed again.

"Is your mom home?"

"No, I think I'm alone. Is Embry over there?"

"Yeah"

"Then I'm alone. I don't know what to do"

"I'm going to run to the store and get some supplies for you and then come over. Take some Advil if you have cramps" she hung up after that, and I was left in silence again.

I groaned, and rolled over in my bed. I didn't know how long Emily would be, or if we even had any Advil. Deciding that the cramps were too much, I went to the bathroom to look for the medication, but all I could find was Tylenol. I sighed in defeat and went back to my bed, where I stayed until Emily came in about half an hour later.

"Emily it hurts" I groaned

"Did you take any Advil?" she asked

"No, all we had was Tylenol!"

"oh, sweetie," she laughed, "they do the same thing"

"You're kidding me." I deadpanned

"No, now I got pads and tampons, you can pick what you want to use. I'll wait outside the bathroom door if you need help. And take some Tylenol while your in there" I took both boxes from her hand and went into the bathroom, taking a Tylenol a sighing at my fate.

We sat together in my room for over an hour after that. "Emily, can they smell that we're, you know, bleeding?" I asked, my concern rising at the thought.

"Oh, gosh no! That would be terrible if they could! They can smell blood from wounds, but there's just something different about our period that they can't smell, thankfully" she replied and I sighed in relief, grateful that I would't have to go through that embarrassment every month.

Emily left shortly after that, saying that she needed to go cook lunch for the guys so they didn't starve. I didn't mind being alone, especially since mom got home at 11, so I could talk to her about Canada.

"Hey mom, I have a question" I said, walking into the living room.

"What's up, Rena?" She replied, looking up from her magazine

"So my friend Luke lives in Canada, and he wants me to go there over spring break, so I was wondering if I could go?"

"Honey, who is going to drive you? We can't afford the plane tickets"

"Luke already bought them for me! For Thursday morning, I just had to make sure it was ok"

"You can go, just because it's spring break, but you need to do some extra cleaning around the house to make up for it. What day will you be back?"

"On Monday, the plane lands at two so I should be home by 4 since its through the Port Angeles air port. Thanks mom, I love you! You're the best!" I cheered, giving her a hug before running off to my room to start to pack my bag.

Embry and Paul came into my room after that, around 12:15. "Hey guys!" I said.

"Wow, you're in a good mood" Embry commented, "What's with the bag?"

"I'm going to Canada over spring break, to see Luke!" I said, excited yet the boys only scowled

"Mom is letting you go?" Embry asked

"Yeah! I already asked her"

"No" Paul muttered

"What?" I asked, confused

"No, you can't go" He said, looking me in the eye

"Why not? Luke already bought the plane ticket" Embry left the room after that, muttering something about not wanting to get in-between imprints fighting.

"I don't know who Luke is, so I can't trust him, and I can't go with to protect you. Its-"

"dangerous, yeah I know. You're right, I guess I won't go" I sighed, putting my head down and dropping my shoulders.

"Thank. you" Paul said, pulling me into a long embrace, "you know I only want to protect you, right? It's not because I don't trust you, its because I don't trust Victoria"

The rest of the day was a blur, same with Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, until Thursday morning came along. Bailey picked me up early that morning so I could catch my flight. I felt bad for lying to Paul, but I needed to see Luke and clear m head. After wishing her goodbye, I walked into the massive airport alone, following the signs for navigation.

Once I boarded the plane, I got a text from Embry. 

Where are you? Emily wants us to come over. Delivered 8:25 am. Opened 8:26 am.

Can't talk right ow, plane is about to leave. See you Monday. Delivered 8:27 am. Opened 8:27 am.

What the hell, Serena! Delivered 8:27 am.

Why didn't you tell anyone you were going! Delivered 8:27 am.

Embry was on patrol when I left, making my plan of escape that much easier. Before I knew it, the plane was taking off and landing again in Canada, where I waited to meet Luke.

And waited.

And waited some more.

And waited even longer, but there was no sign of Luke.

After calling at least six times and texting a dozen more, I began to get worried. My flight landed an hour and a half ago, and there was still no sign of Luke. Remembering he gave me one of his moms numbers, I tried to call them.

"Hello?" she asked

"Hey, Its Serena, Luke was supposed to pick me up over an hour ago"

"Serena, Luke disappeared two weeks ago. We don't know where he is or even if he's alive"

"What?!"