sixty eight

Serena

"You didn't have to tell mom you also snuck out last night, you know" I told Embry once the door to our bedroom was fully shut. What was supposed to be a nice family evening turned into mom sending both of us straight back to our room after we finished dinner because she was disappointed in us.

"Yeah and you didn't have to take the blame for me in the first place. Now we're both in deep shit" He replied, sitting on the desk chair and spinning in circles.

"What do you want to do now? Its only seven thirty"

"Uh, I don't know, wanna play a game?"

"What game? We don't have any cards or anything in here"

"Have you ever heard of the game Snaps?" noticing my confusion, Embry then explained slightly, "It's pretty easy to catch onto, here, I'll do one quick"

He paused for a minute, then smiled at me, a devious look on his face. "The name of the game IS snaps. Would you know how to play" he snapped four times and my confusion only rose. "Let's try and guess the word" he paused again, "firecrackers are fun"

"I don't understand, Embry" I said, "Am I supposed to know what's going on?"

"Yeah, I figured you wouldn't get it right away, let me do another one" He didn't think for long before starting to spew nonsense again, "The name of the game IS snaps. Be aware of your surroundings" two snaps, then one, "choose your next move wisely" he paused again, "hearts are funny looking"

"Embry I have no clue. Will you tell me how to play?"

"No! This is fun! Let me keep going to see if you get it later tonight!" He exclaimed. I didn't end up figuring out how to play that night, or the next morning on the way to school. Once the pack found out they all laughed at me too, because apparently it was easy for them.

A week later Embry was ungrounded and was being extremely careful when sneaking out for patrol, as was Paul when he was sneaking in. At dinner that night, it was just me and mom. "Mom, do you know how to play snaps?" I asked her, hoping she would let me in on the secret.

"Is that what you two have been giggling about all week?" I nodded and she laughed, "I do, but I'm not allowed to tell you, you have to figure that out yourself"

"Wait! But that's not fair!"

"Sorry sweetie, rules of the game" I frowned and she laughed again before getting a serious look on her face. "How long are you going to take the blame for your brother?"

"What!" I sputtered, shock all over my face

"You know what I mean. It's not you sneaking out at night and I know it"

"I don't know what you're talking about" I lied, trying to stay calm

"Serena, I know about the sneaking out, and I know about the pack"

"How do you know about that?"

"Serena, I may not have lived here my entire life, but your father was a wolf descendant. He told me all about the legends and how he was certain they were true, all it took for me to figure it out was your brother and his friends disappearing for a few weeks"

"You knew all this time? And you didn't tel me? I didn't have to keep lying to you?"

"I wasn't sure until you covered for your brother last week. I wanted yo both to come clean to me  but I felt too guilty about keeping you both grounded for so long. I'm not very good at this whole mom thing"

"No! You're a great mom! Anything is better than what I had before!"

"Thanks sweetie. You know, I also know about imprinting" Color flooded my cheeks and I could tell she was smirking at me even though I couldn't see past my hands covering my face. "Paul's a good guy. He treats you well"

"Mom!"

"Hey, what can I say, I'm jealous. Part of me wished that Joshua would've imprinted on me, but the other part is glad he didn't. But if Paul ever tries to pressure you into anything you tell me and I'll kick his ass, ok?"

"Sounds good. I better go check on Embry"

"Yeah you better, and tell him that he needs to find his imprint soon, I'm tired of him moping around while you and Paul are hanging out in front of him"

I trotted down the hallway and into my bedroom quickly, noticing Embry in a state of panic as soon as I walked in. "How the hell does she know" he whisper yelled

"How much did you hear?" I asked him

"Only the end little chunk about imprints. How the hell did she find out"

"Lets play a little game, shall we? Perhaps one by the name of snaps?"

"Not now, Serena, I'm freaking out"

"right, sorry. Joshua told her the legends the night we were conceived, ew, and then she started to put the pieces together when you guys shifted and disappeared, and from all the sneaking out you've been doing to go patrol"

"Serena, this puts mom in so much danger. If anyone outside the pack finds out mom is going to be a target, most likely by the ones who are after you"

"You've got to be kidding me" We both looked at each other, not knowing what to do. After a minute, we figured it out, 

"We have to tell Sam" we said at the same time, "Gross, never do that again. Stop that!"

Embry shoved me lightly and walked out the door towards the living room, most likely to put his shoes on. "Jerk" I muttered, following after him.

"I heard that"

"you were supposed to, lets go"

Sam

"What the hell do you mean your mom knows!" I exclaimed once the twins told me what happened. "My- sorry, our father is a fucking idiot. He doesn't realize how much danger this puts your mother in! One wrong move and she's gone!"

"Hey, but Bella knows and she's not dead yet!" Serena exclaimed after coming up with the thought

"Yeah but Bella is protected by a coven of leeches" Leah seethed from her spot next to me. She was going to take Serena back to my house after this conversation was over because it would most likely go until Embry needs to patrol and Paul is going straight to her place once he's off

"So what do we do?" Embry asked

"We lie our asses off. Nobody else can find out. Not Paul, not Jake, Quil, Seth or Jared, nobody else. Keep your heads clean during your shifts and when someone on the list is phased"

"I can't lie to Seth!" Leah exclaimed

"You're going to have to" I said.