eighteen

"What do you mean it was one of them?" I asked the rest of the group confused

"Oh, uh, it's nothing, don't worry about it" Jared said quickly, leading me to believe that there was something going on

"Oh, ok, you guys were just being really weird, that's all" I stammered, not liking all of them looking at me like they were hiding something

"I'm sorry everyone, but not this many people are allowed in a hospital room" doctors Cullen said walking into the room

"Oh no, it's ok, with the added total of people that can be in my room we can actually have 2 more in here" Jared said slyly

"Mr Cameron what are you doing out of your room? I specifically told you that you weren't allowed out until I cleared you" doctor Cullen said

"I feel great doc, good as new, see?" Jared said before pulling a bandage wrap off his arm, "my cuts have already healed"

There were a few sharp intakes of breath before Jared realized he did something wrong, "how are your cuts already healed? The accident was only a few hours ago" I said after seeing Jared's unharmed arm

"Oh, uh, they're still there, see? Ouch, they hurt really bad" Jared stuttered, covering his arm back up

"There's something going on here that I can't know, isn't there?" I asked

"No, of course not, what would be going on?" Kim said to me sweetly

"Yes there is! You're hiding something from me? Why can't I know?" I asked raising my voice a little bit, sick of being kept in the dark

"We aren't hiding anything from you, Serena, ok?" Emily said softly, putting a hand on my shoulder, but I could tell by the looks on everyone's faces that they were intact hiding something

"I'm tired of being lied to, just take me home" I said, giving up

"But you just got here!" Kim protested

"Please" I said, but nobody moved, "I'll come back when I'm told the truth"

"You'll be told soon, when he's ready to tell you he will" Sam told me

"He? Who is he?" I pestered Sam, looking for answers

"You'll find out soon enough, but right now isn't the right time, let's go home" Embry said and I nodded, letting him lead me out of the room

"What are you guys hiding from me? I promise I can keep a secret" I said as soon as we got to the truck

"I can't tell you, I really want to, but I cant, I'm sorry" Embry replied and I frowned.

I let out a yawn as we were pulling out of the parking lot but quickly covered it with a sigh, not wanting Embry to know that I was tired.

"Get some sleep, if you're not awake when we get home I'll carry you inside"

"No, Ill feel bad that your driving while I'm getting sleep"

"It's fine, Serena, I'll be fine sitting in silence"

"I don't think I can fall asleep against the window, it's too cold"

"Then lay your head on my shoulder" I hesitated before he continued "you're my sister, it's what siblings do, falling asleep on each other in the car and stuff"

"Ok, but drive safe, I don't wanna be in the hospital again, it scares me even though I've never even been to the doctor before"

"You've never been to the doctor? What did those people do to you?"

"A lot of stuff that normal teens aren't forced to eat or not use"

"Like what?"

"Like I wasn't allowed any electronics or junk food, and you know that o wasn't allowed anywhere except my house and school, and I had a strict bed time of 9 pm and had to get up and 7:30, even on the weekends. I had to clean the entire house 3 times a week and the bathrooms every day along with my bedroom. I had to read for 2 hours a day and complete my homework by 4:30 Monday through Thursday  and by 7 on Fridays. I couldn't have friends over or go to their houses and wasn't allowed to go on field trips, all because they decided to kidnap me when we were babies"

Embry

Serena feel asleep a minute or two after she finished telling me about her horrible life growing up with the people that took her from her real family. The drive was silent after she fell asleep, she didn't snore, she didn't talk in her sleep, all that was heard was the hum of the engine.

I pulled into our driveway 22 minutes after we left the hospital, it was now 9:46 and I had patrol at 10. I carried Serena inside and to my room where I tucked her into my bed so she could sleep comfortably since I wouldn't be using it tonight.

After I tucked her in I left the house and went into the woods, where I shifted into my wolf. I met Paul behind my house and we started doing our rounds around our territory.

At around 6 Sam came to switch with us, leaving me to run along the outside of our territory all the way to the other side to get back to the woods behind my house.

Serena

I woke up to the sun shining brightly into my face. I was in Embrys bed with him nowhere to be found. I started to walk to the bathroom when I heard a noise from the kitchen, it was too early for my real mom to get up because I learned last night that she sleeps in late.

I turned around and went back into Embrys room to find something to defend my self with because Embry wasn't home because of work, which I found out by a note that was on the night stand.

I grabbed a baseball bat and moved quickly but quietly to the kitchen, where I could hear more noise coming from. I entered the kitchen and saw a large man looking through the cupboards so I swung my bag, only for it to be caught after the man turned around.

"Seriously, Serena? A wooden bat to defend yourself against someone my size?"