sixty nine

Serena

That night, after the whole mom finding out about the pack situation, Sam came back to our house to talk with her. "So explain to me again how you found out? Embry and Serena were kind of frantic and jumbled when they were telling us"

"Same I don't see why I have to tell you again, I've already explained it to you three times" mom said, a frown etched onto her face.

"I know I'm just trying to make sense of how you pieced it all together so quickly"

"It really is your fathers fault," mom said, "if he didn't tell me the legends I would have just thought I was a terrible parent"

"My father really causes a lot of trouble doesn't he" Sam mumbled.

They continued to talk until mom had to go to work the night shift at 9:30, Sam leaving shortly after her. After they left, Embry and I got ready for bed. He still had to patrol tonight, but he wanted to sleep while he still could.

There was a massive storm commencing outside, and after looking at the forecast, I found out that it wouldn't be stopping anytime soon. "You want to share a bed while I'm here?" Embry mumbled, half asleep but still being able to recognize my fear.

"No, that's ok. I need to get over it eventually" I replied, curling into a ball under the covers, "night Em"

"Night, Rena"

I was wandering the woods, taking in all of the scenery when I heard it. The thundering of paws coming closer. The sound of massive animals coming my way.

As they continued to get closer I started to panic, my breaths coming out short and choppy. After listening to where the were coming from, I turned and sprinted the other way, trying to out run them, yet I knew I couldn't. They were gaining on my, and quick.

All of a sudden, a vampire leaped over me, landing in front of me and continuing to run forward. Seconds after, a massive silver wolf did the same.

Not just any wolf either.

Paul's wolf.

My heart started to pound in my chest. Something was wrong.

It was like I was moving as fast as Paul and the leech. Suddenly I was gliding next to them. Like I wasn't really there. But I was, wasn't I?

I watched as Paul chased this wolf for miles up the border of our territory. Gaining on the leech but never getting close enough to take it out. That's when I saw it. The other one just on the other side of the border. It was running parallel to us, just slightly behind.

This was all a set up. The one on our land was just a distraction so the other could sneak in. Or worse, hurt Paul.

"Paul!" I yelled, trying to get his attention, yet it seemed like I was only a shadow. An overseer of this entire thing. "PAUL! Look out!"

I watched in horror as the vampire leaped over the border, latching onto Paul's right back leg. He tried to kick it off, but the leech was too quick.

All I could hear was a sickening series of crunches as I watched the leech squeeze Paul's leg, shattering the bones in it. His wolf let out a massive whine and collapsed, turning back to his human self almost immediately.

I looked on in shock as he cried out in pain, sobbing. The leeches were long gone. They got their job done. This was a just a distraction. "serena" Paul whispered, barely audible.

"PAUL!" I screamed again, trying to get to him but I couldn't move.

"SERENA!" I woke up Embry shaking me, concern laced on his face. I ignored him and stood, rushing to the window. "What are you doing?"

"It's Paul, he's hurt"

"What? How do you know?"

"I don't know, I can feel it? I had a dream, I need to get to him"

I opened the window and threw myself outside, landing in a giant mud puddle. I hadn't bothered to put on shoes and I was slipping around in the wet grass.

Embry jumped out after me and followed me into the woods. I didn't know exactly where I was going, I just had to trust my gut.

Not even two minutes into our adventure, there was a pain stricken howl coming from the direction that we were heading. Embry and I stopped as he listened, and he turned to me in shock. "That was Jared. Someone's hurt"

He back away and suddenly he was replaced by his wolf. The wolf that almost attacked me not too long ago. He lowered his body and nodded his head at me, signaling for me to climb on.

We were moving at speeds I don't even know we're possible. Embry was easily one of the fastest based off his build, but I wasn't expecting anything remotely close to this.

He skidded to a stop suddenly and I lost my grip, getting thrown into the mud, but I didn't care. We where where we needed to be.

I got up quickly and pushed through the pack to where I found Paul on the ground, groaning in pain with his leg twisted in ways that a leg shouldn't be. "Paul!" I exclaimed, dropping to my knees beside him and grabbing his hand.

"Serena" he mumbled, tears streaming from his eyes, "what are you doing here?"

"I had a dream, no a nightmare, that you got hurt. I needed to make sure you were ok" I replied.

"I'm just fabulous right now darling," he sasses, "all fine and dandy"

"Paul, what happened?" Carlisle asked as he approached with Jasper and Edward.

"I-" he groaned again as he moved just slightly, "I almost had it. Then another one came out of nowhere"

"Serena saw it" Edward said, pushing into my mind and reading my thoughts. Get the hell out of my head. He smirked at me and shook his head.

"That doesn't matter right now. We need to get him somewhere safe so I can reset his leg before the healing gets too far.

"We'll take home to my house. Midnight shift, go patrol. We'll keep you updated" Sam said.