fifty four

Serena

"Serena, do you want to tell us about what you did last night in the city? Maybe why you went after we told you it's dangerous?" Sam asked, making my smile falter. I was trying to enjoy this lunch, but their questions just cause me to hate it.

"I went shopping with my friends. No biggie" I replied, pulling my phone out of Paul's line of vision. He was trying to read the text and I didn't want to have that conversation right now.

"No biggie? Serena it's dangerous out there!" Sam scolded and I scoffed.

"I'll tell you exactly what I told these two," I said, pointing my thumbs at the boys sitting next to me, "unless you tell me what it is that's so dangerous, I'm not going to listen to you. I know you're all lying to me. I'm not stupid"

"Start listening to us and we'll tell you. End of story" Sam said, staring daggers at me. I didn't break eye contact, we were in a showdown now.

"Kim, will you take me home please?"  I asked, not taking my eyes off of Sam.

"Yeah, sure" Kim said, standing up, breaking Sam attention off of me.

"Kim, sit" Jared said, puling on her arm to try and get her to stay.

"No, Jare, I'm going to take her home." Kim pulled out of his grasp and moved towards the door, "We'll talk later, ok?"

Jared nodded and that was my cue to stand up. "Bye Emily" I said before following Kim out of the house and to her car. "Are you going to tell me what they're keeping from me?"

"I can't tell you" She replied, stating the car

"Why not?" I pestered and she sighed.

"Because they won't tell me either. I don't even think that Emily knows"

The ride back to my house was silent but peaceful, which was much needed. It was only a ten minute drive, but I managed to doze off for half of it. "Rena," Kim said, nudging me awake, "We're here. I'll see you a school on Monday?"

"Yeah, for sure. Thanks for the ride, Kim" I said, giving her a small smile before getting out of the car. Once I was at the front door, I turned and waved at Kim, earning a large smile in return.

It was almost 2 now, and I can almost guarantee that nobody will be home until at least five. Mom worked the middle shift today and Embry can't pass up hanging with the pack. I set my bags down on the ground at the endow my bed and closed the curtain after locking the window. 

I planned on doing some reading, so I sat at the desk, turned the lamp on, and opened my book. I was almost done with this book, and then I could start the new one I got in Port Angeles about the Quilet Legends. 

Embry

"Gosh dang it, Serena" I mumbled when I walked into our bedroom. I figured that she would be doing something in the living room, not passed out face first in her book. Again.

I pulled the book out from under her and creased the corned, setting it aside so I could move her to her bed. I scooped her up and she shifted, her eyes opening slightly. "Go back to sleep, I'm just putting you in bed" I whispered and she nodded.

"Will you stay wit me? Please?" she asked quietly and I shook my head.

"I can't, I have to go patrol in twenty minutes. Do you want me to send Paul in here?"

"Yeah, he's good at cuddling" I did not need to know that, but I complied anyways. After I tucked her in I texted Paul.

She wants you in here. To cuddle Delivered 5:38 pm. Opened 5:38 pm.

I'll be there in a few Delivered 5:38 pm. Opened 5:39 pm.

"He's on his way. Leave the window unlocked please, I'll be back around midnight" I said to Serena, but I'm pretty sure she was asleep anyway.

Paul

I got the the Call's house in less than ten minutes, excited that my imprint wanted to cuddle with me. Embry was gone already, he phased in right as I was about to phase out, and their mom wouldn't be home until 6:30.

Walking quietly into their house, I tricked into the twin's room where I found Serena fast asleep against the wall. She left room for me. My smile widened as I crawled into bed next to her.

"Hi, Paul" she mumbled, snugging into my side.

"Hey Re, go back to bed" I said yawning.

I was woken up later to yelling coming from Serena's mom, "Dinners ready!" she called out. Serena stood up first, and I followed her out to the dining room, "There you are, and Paul? Where's your brother?"

"He's still at Emily's, said he won't be back until later" I said quickly.

"Oh, so you two were alone. In your bedroom. Doing God knows what" Ms. Call said, horror flashing across her face.

"Mom! No! All we did was take a nap!"Serena exclaimed.

"That's what they all say. Your bedroom door stays open whenever he's in there from now on" Ms. Call scolded. Serena's face was bright red, yet all I could do was laugh.

"I promise you, Ms. Call, nothing happened" I said, taking a seat next to Serena.

"This time" She relied and Serena choked on her water.

"Mom! I'm 15!" Serena exclaimed, getting impossibly redder. 

"Age means nothing. I was 17 when I got pregnant with you two" 

The conversation dulled after that, each of us enjoying our food quietly. Once we were all done, I helped Serena Clea up the table while Ms. Call put away the leftovers. "You know, I like you a lot more when I'm tired" Serena mumbled

"Maybe you should be tired more often then" I replied and she smiled at me.

"You really can't tell me what's going on?" She begged me with those adorable puppy eyes that she does.

"I'm sorry, Re, I can't disobey Sam's alpha orders otherwise you would have know when it first came up" 

"I already know."

"What?"

"I heard you guys, the other day talking I mean, after I got out of the shower, I heard my name so I listened to what you were saying."

"Then why did you get so angry?"

"You guys didn't tell me about it. If I'm in serious danger like Alice thinks I'm in, then I should have been told right away"

"I know. I'm sorry, Embry and I begged Sam but he wouldn't let up"

She nodded and grabbed my hand, pulling me back towards her bedroom. "Door open!" Ms. Call yelled.