seventy eight

Serena

"HOLY FUCKING SHIT!" I exclaimed as I shot up, eyes frantically searching the room to see several shocked faces. I looked down and saw an IV in my arm, pumping fluid into my body, as well as a heard monitor tracking how it beats. So that's what that annoying as beeping is.

A loud laugh broke me out of my trance, and looking up I saw Edward standing next to his dad or whatever you call them. "What the hell was that?" I asked the group of people standing around me, noticing my brothers, Jake, and Jared, "What time is it?"

"11:38" Sam said from across the room, pushing himself off the wall to take long steps to sit on the couch next to me. "Jake found you at 10:45 this morning"

"I don't understand. What do you mean found me? The last thing I remember was telling Embry to be careful before he left to help out? Wasn't that at like 10?" I told the group

"All I know is that when I got to your place to stay with you while the rest of the pack was chasing after that stupid leech you were frozen and wouldn't respond to me when I called out to you. I would've thought you were dead but you were still blinking throughout whatever the hell that was. Next thing I know, you're collapsing the second I touch you, so I brought you here and asked the Cullens for help since everyone else was patrolling or on the hunt" Jake explained.

"Edward was with you the entire time in 'the well' and I was tracking your vitals as well as giving you IV's to keep your levels up. Your brothers and Paul got here a few hours later to make sure you were ok and to keep you company incase you woke up abruptly like you just did" Carlisle said, taking down some more numbers before taking out the IV and removing the heart monitor from my body.

"Woke up? I wasn't awake the entire time?" I asked nervously

"Well, your eyes were open the entire time, which was rather creepy-"

"Says the literal vampire" Jared coughed

"but you were in a sort of comatose state? Kind of like a trance but more advanced. Your vitals showed that you were awake, but your body wasn't? if that makes sense to you because it doesn't to me" Edward finished, shooting a large glare at Jared.

"Serena," Paul said, "tell us what happened while you were in 'the well' so we can prevent him from drawing you in again"

"He told me he was able to do it because I was emotionally weaker after last night" I told them.

"So we just keep your emotions in check then? Nothing bad happens round you until we get rid of him?" Jake asked the group

"Not exactly," Edward said, "emotions can be play with at any second. Luke had an easier time with getting to Serena because her walls were down. That doesn't mean that he wouldn't have gotten through. It'll be bound to happen again eventually, but to try and prevent it you just have to learn how to build your walls up"

"You mean be closed off?" I asked and he gave me a grim nod

The following Monday I found myself back at school ignoring everyone. Even Paul.

Bailey was at a doctors appointment so I didn't have to worry about her, but Birkley was a whole different story. I felt horrible blowing her off all day, it definitely wasn't easy. Lacrosse practice made it even harder.

No longer could I be the one that everyone turned to for advice or even to just chat for a minute. I was now the harass that couldn't show any feelings. It did help me earn a starting spot on the varsity roster, but at the cost of all of my friends.

Two weeks had came and went and it was safe to say I no longer had any friends. Sure, the guys still took turns babysitting me, but according to Edward our conversations had to be minimal and about random stuff, nothing personal that could lead to me letting my guard down.

"Paul?" I asked him as we lay awake in my room. He's here as my baby sitter tonight, for the first time in a while. Since Edward decided I can't show emotions, Paul and I decided that we needed to keep our distance, which also meant that we can't cuddle either.

"Yeah?" he responded from his spot on my desk chair.

"You remember when Luke had control over you?"

"Serena, were not supposed to talk about personal stuff-"

"IM SICK OF IT, PAUL! I have NO friends anymore because of this crap!"

"Serena, we have to keep you safe, I can't let anything happen to you, you've already been through so much that I couldn't help you work through"

"When Luke had you under his special vampire powers, he didn't have complete control over you, right?"

"yeah, well, I don't know? Maybe? I can't remember"

"If he had complete control over yo, Jared wouldn't have been able to punch you out of it. He would have had to let you go, like he had to for me" 

Paul growled at the mention of me and 'the well,' sitting up straighter in his chair. "What are you getting at?"

"I think that Luke's powers don't work as well on wolves!"

Paul

"Serena! You're a genius!" Jared exclaimed as we told the pack and some of the Cullen's about her idea later that day.

"So all we have to do is trigger her phase?" Quil asked

"No, that's extremely dangerous and we don't know what could happen if she phases prematurely" Carlisle shot Quil's idea down

"But she's already started the process so what can be any more dangerous than that?" I asked

"If she phases too early, there's a chance that she'll never be able to control it, putting everyone around her at risk" Edward explained.

"What about me? I'm literally 14. Isn't that premature?" Seth asked, making the pack nod in agreement

"Seth's phase was triggered by an extremely emotionally traumatizing event. Trying to force Serena to phase is the exact opposite" Carlisle said.

"So what do we do?" Sam asked the leeches.

"We have to send her back into 'the well'" Edward told everyone.