sixty seven

Serena

Once we got back to the house, Embry went straight to our room to get some sleep before he had to patrol. It was already 8:30 and he was way behind on getting enough sleep to kind of function. "Serena, honey, do you know why Embry has been sleeping so much lately? He's missing meals and its starting to make me worried" Mom said, stopping me in my tracks.

"Oh, um, I'm not sure. I think he's been feeling sick lately" I replied

"Ok, he's just been distant lately and won't talk to me. I'm going o put dinner in the oven, it'll be done in about half an hour"

"I'll see if Embry is up to eating"

"Thanks, honey"

I walked into Embry and I'd shared bedroom and found him face down on his bed, fast asleep. "Embry, wake up" I said, shaking him.

"What, I'm trying to sleep" he groaned

"Mom's getting suspicious. She wants you to eat dinner with us in half an hour"

"Tell her that I don't feel good"

"I tried that, but she doesn't buy it, I can tell"

"Oh crap. Um, tell her I'm not hungry?"

"She's concerned that you're missing so many meals too"

"ugh, ok, I'll be out when dinners ready. Just let me get a little bit of sleep." I let Embry get back to sleep and laid down in my own bed, closing my eyes, and accidentally falling asleep myself.

"Kids! Dinner!" I woke up with a start, not realizing that I fell asleep. I rolled out of bed, and dragged Embry out of his, so we could eat as a family. "Sorry its late, it took a bit longer than expected"

"That's ok, I'm starving" Embry said, sitting down at the table.

"Fancy seeing you here, Embry, I thought you'd never eat a meal with us again" Mom said

"Yeah, I haven't been feeling well lately so I've been sleeping a lot more" he replied.

"Maybe you don't feel well because you've been sneaking out every night" mom stated and Embry gulped, unsure of what to do.

"Mom, it's not him that's sneaking out, it's me. I go to hang out with Paul and Jared"

"I don't believe you one bit"

"Its true, you can't punish him for it"

"Well, I was going to ground him for two weeks, but I guess since it's you leaving you'll be grounded instead. Hand over your phone"

I frowned, but complied. Embry owed me big time. "Only for two weeks, right?" I asked

"Yes, now no more sneaking out or you'll be grounded for longer"

After school and practice the next day I went straight to Sam and Emily's place. "Sam! We have to tell my mom what's going on!"

"What? Why do you say that?" he asked, putting his newspaper down.

"She's getting so suspicious of Embry! She's noticed him skipping meals to sleep and sneaking out at night, which I took the blame for! Now I'm grounded for two weeks!"

"We can't tell your mom, tribe rules"

"Why does Paul's dad get to know? Or Jake's? Or Quil's grandpa?"

"They get to know because they were all shifters, or supposed to be had there been leeches around here, or they're tribe elders"

"Please, Sam, it can't keep going like this! It's killing my mom because Embry barely has time to talk to her anymore!"

"I'll see what I can do, but I doubt the elders would approve of it"

"Thank you, Sam"

"What time does your mom get off work? If you're grounded you'll want to be back before she gets home" Emily asked me

"She's done at 6:30, what time is it now?"

"It's 6:15, I'll drive you home" Sam said after looking at his watch. I nodded and followed him out to his truck. 

"You sure I can't tell my mom tonight?"

"I'm sure, tell Embry he has he night off tonight to try and rebuild his relationship with your mom. I'll tell Paul he can't go over tonight"

"Why can't he come to my house tonight?"

"Number one: you're still grounded, number two: Embry has the night off so there's no need for an extra guy in there, and number three: you're my baby sister and I don't want you having sleepovers with random guys"

'Sam, Paul isn't some random guy, he's in your pack and he imprinted on me. Its basically inevitable"

"Just because it happened doesn't mean I like it. You're 15, you've barely lived your life. If I had it my way you wouldn't date anyone until you're thirty"

"That's unrealistic and you know it.You're engaged and you're only 21. Plus, you dated Leah for a few years before Emily"

"I know, I can't keep Paul away from you forever, but I can tonight. Now get inside before you get caught"

I ran inside the house and watched as Sam's truck pulled away through the kitchen window. Going into my bedroom, I woke Embry up fr the second day in a row. "What now, Serena?"

"Sam say's you have tonight off, but you have to try and mend your relationship with mom. She'll be home in like ten minutes so I suggest you wake up and go do something not in here"

Embry peeled himself out of bed and left the room, leaving me to put my things on my desk so I could start my homework. Almost an hour later, Embry came back into the room, grabbing me for dinner.

"Serena, I thought I said no more sneaking out? What part of that did you not understand?" Mom asked me after we started eating.

"I know! I'm sorry! I just needed to check on something-" I started to say but I was cut off

"Serena! I asked one thing of you! I shouldn't have even had to ask you to stop sleeping out in the first place! I'm extremely disappointed in you!"

"I'm sorry"

"You're grounded for another week. You are to go straight to your room after dinner and not come out until tomorrow morning. You hear me?"

"Yes, mom"

"I think you're being a little harsh on her, mom, you didn't even let her explain herself" Embry said, trying to make up for the consequences that I'm facing because of him.

"No, I think I'm doing perfectly fine. You're entire life I've barely been able to parent you because I was busy working to put food on the table and trying to find your sister. Now tat I've got a stable job and your sister is back it's time for me to start parenting again, unless you want to confess something to me?" Mom explained and Embry hesitated before speaking again

"I snuck out with her last night. That means you have to punish me too" He said

"Alright, fine. You're grounded for one week. Give me your phone"