Chapter 15

he conversation between Shen Ji and Shen Dehan ended in an unhappy disagreement.

Shen Ji could not accept the presence of Chu Qianqian, but Shen Dehan insisted on keeping Chu Qianqian by his side. Shen Ji finally left the hospital with a cold face.

Throughout the whole process, Shen Xi leaned quietly in the hallway and listened to the argument inside the ward, with an expression on his face that the others could not understand.

The thing that just happened had happened countless times in the Shen family in the past, except that the protagonist had always been Shen Xi, while Shen Ji was always one of the uninvolved spectators. This time the roles were reversed, and Shen Xi coldly watched Shen Ji's anger and the disappointment in his eyes. An indescribable feeling of pleasure welled up in Shen Xi's heart.

What made Shen Xi even more excited was his father's expression. In his memory, when his father quarrelled with him, there had never been any expression other than disgust on his face, but what did Shen Xi see just now? There was a look of anger and disappointment mixed with a hint of unacknowledged pain on his father's face. Shen Xi was almost fascinated as he recalled his father's look over and over again. The huge void that had been gaping in his heart since his rebirth was finally filled!

Satisfied, Shen Xi stepped into the elevator and took one last look at the ward where his father was, smiling faintly.

The curtain had been raised, and he hoped that the next actor to take to the stage would not let him down.

Zhongjing at night was always lively and extravagant, with countless bars and clubs dotted around, attracting waves of men and women in beautiful clothes to shuttle among them.

Inside a nondescript bar, Shen Ji was sitting expressionlessly at the bar counter, repeating the words "one more drink" over and over again under the sound of the loud background music.

The barman tonight was a young man who had been working in this bar for three years and was known as Xiao Wu.

In the past three years, Xiao Wu had seen many men like Shen Ji, men who wanted to drink to drown their sorrows. He was not at all bothered by Shen Ji's behaviour but just filled up his empty glass again and again as soon as Shen Ji shouted "one more".

Shen Ji didn't know how much he had drunk, but after once again emptying his glass, he pushed it to Xiao Wu and gestured with his eyes to fill it up.

Xiao Wu obediently took the glass, and soon the crystal liquid filled it, glowing brilliantly under the bar lights. In a daze, Shen Ji watched the glass being filled, then suddenly raised his head to look at Xiao Wu, "What do you think it is like to really love someone?"

After hearing this question, Xiao Wu gave Shen Ji a pitying look, lamenting in his heart that there was another fool trapped by love.

Xiao Wu reckoned that Shen Ji was already drunk and probably didn't even know what he was talking about, so he didn't bother to pay any attention to him. But Shen Ji stared at him stubbornly and repeated his question once again.

Xiao Wu felt helpless, thought for a while and said, "True love is when the person is unique in your eyes and there is no one else like them."

Shen Ji didn't seem to hear Xiao Wu's answer, continuing as if he was talking to himself, "When the person you love dies, will you keep looking for a substitute?"

This question was much more interesting to Xiao Wu than the last one. Xiao Wu's gossip-loving heart flared up and he took the initiative to offer his insight, "I'd say, buddy, you're wrong about this. It's not right to find a substitute after the death of a loved one. She's unique in your eyes, can you still find a substitute to replace her? That means it's not true love at all!"