VIII

Cale and Deruth were eating breakfast when a Viscount family knight arrived. The knight had inquired as to whether Count Henituse had lost any valuables. Even under the guise of being robbed, the Stan family will not be silenced. Vicross carefully arranges a few more dishes on the table. Nothing happened, thanks to the knights, particularly Hilsman. The innkeeper, who was spending the night with the knights, corroborated their statements.

The viscount's knight nodded and walked away, saying nothing. After all, Deruth asked the knight if they were suspecting them, despite the fact that the Henituse family is wealthier than the viscount. Who wants to be humiliated with money?

"Cale... did you keep 'that' safe?""

Cale nods and pats the area near his chest. He placed the dragon egg in a spatial bag. It would also imply that the Vicross will not be leaving his side for a while, much to the chagrin of the latter..

Their envoy continued their journey and arrived in Puzzle City four days later. Cale could feel the spatial bag trembling from time to time. He was cool because he knew when it would hatch. He had already done his research on dragons, and the shaking sensations are considered normal for dragons about to be born. It had a different type of shaking, especially when Vicross was nearby.

Cale soon asked Hans and Vicross to accompany him to town. He had scrutinized everything. He jotted down some observations about the city. Hans was kind enough to tell him about the city's legends. He would have thrown a tantrum if he were a normal kid who believed in all sorts of myths, but he is not.

For the first time, Vicross inquires, "Why do you consider everything?" Vicross was a character in the novel who never asked questions. He was dependable enough to move accordingly without being told to.

Cale smiled as he looked at him. "Because the only way to change things is to look at everything slowly again."

Vicross didn't say anything else after that. The young man followed him back to the inn, nodding his head.

Deruth was nowhere to be found when they returned. He had to be wringing some noble's neck right now. He took a seat and took the spatial bag from his pocket. The black egg voluntarily emerged from the bag and landed on Cale's lap. Cale spread his legs so that he could properly place the egg between his legs. Ron had already prepared a clean cloth and he began wiping the egg.

This was part of his daily ablutions. He intends to release the dragon once it hatches. Tossing the dragon right now could be risky, especially since people may be after the egg. Nobles, particularly greedy ones, would want to tame a young dragon so that it could usurp the throne or destroy a kingdom or two. He only wanted to avoid the looming threat of a rogue dragon wreaking havoc in a territory adjacent to the County.

Cale awoke early the following morning. The black egg was unusually quiet for such an early morning. He got ready and decided that he would take the ancient power today.

When he emerged from the bath, Vicross was already there.

"I'm going out; don't find me," he said, placing the black egg on Vicross's arms. "Do not leave the room until I return...""

"I understand," Vicross says, staring at the black egg, "Young Master."

"Yes?"

"The egg is trembling."

Cale snorts at the dumbfounded Vicross. Even if it hasn't yet hatched, the dragon knows who he wants to be attached to.

"That's what you get for calling him emergency food," he said flatly, with an irritating smirk. Vicross glared at him and returned his attention to the black egg.