LXII

Cale's coming-of-age ceremony took place two years ago. He tried to disregard it, but the letter from that man lingered for two years.

He had been watching over his son for two years and had noticed something was wrong.

When he accidentally dropped letters on the floor, he decided to visit his small library just beside his office.

It was Cale's letter.

He sat down on the floor and began cleaning them. He unfolded the letters and began reading them one by one. He assumed that the vibrant colours belonged to Jour, but he was mistaken. This is the box where he kept all of Cale's letters, especially when he first began writing to him at the age of seven.

He read the contents and gently smiled as he read love letters full of excitement and anticipation.

He read them one by one, according to the dates, and was relieved that he did not get caught by dropping them on the floor.

When he opened the letter, he was greeted by very neat handwriting, which was unusual for an eight-year-old letter. He looked at the date but stopped when he noticed all of them.

The letter before Jour's death was scribbled by a child, but the letter after her death was handwritten by an adult.

Deruth's head became foggy at the same time his heart thumped so loudly.

He rereads all of the letters and notices a significant change in the letters.

He started scanning everything when he came across a letter addressed to him from his late wife.

He braced his heart and opened the letter, but it contained a name he did not recognize.

[To My Dear Husband.

I apologize for having to rush to Harris Village. I could not tell you directly, but I needed to do something to protect our child. Deruths, husband, you are aware that the Thames family is a family of scholars, but that is not who we are.]

He can not help but be concerned about the next paragraph he will read.

[We are the bloodline that studies the passage of time. I rushed to protect our son after learning that he is a variable. I was willing to break my own plate, just so that "Man" could never attack the county. He needs the Ancient Power in my possession]

He swallowed a slump of saliva and cocontinuedeading.

[Husband, sooner or later, another soul will take up residence in our child's body. Cale will no longer be the child you remember, but his body will remain his. He is an unfortunate child, but the god of death requires him to save everyone in there in order to protect the world. I honestly do not know when, but...]

But what?

[Please do not abandon that boy. I know you can accept him; after all, you are a good man. Please. Husband. Whatever happens, even if you cannot accept him. Please do not abandon him. He requires someone to look after him. I'm sure. The world to which our son will travel will be a happy one. So, please, just this one. Please forgive me for asking you such a selfish request. I'm sorry, husband. I couldn't tell you early on.

Forgive me.

Jour]

I won't last.

Jour's last letter was an apology..

I crumpled the paper and dashed over to his office. I ripped all the letters from the Thameses and read exactly what Jour had written. Things to consider when claiming that Cale is no longer his son. The issue of his suspicion arose once more..